Things to do in Bar Harbor if it's raining?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
We're heading to Bar Harbor and Baxter end of this week and so far it looks like some potential rain while we're in Bar Harbor. I know the hardcore VFTTers would be out hiking, kayaking, biking, and wrestling seals in the rain, but we'll have our ten month old and won't be doing any hiking in the rain with her.

Any ideas? Is the local library nice?

Thanks!!

Bah Hahba

There are a couple of breweries and a winery with tours/tastings.

Abbe Museum

Natural History Museum

Dorr Museum

Oceanarium - baby lobstas are cool.

Eat

Shop

I'm sure there are other things to do too.

Thanks for the ideas. I especially like the Oceanarium and Natural History Museum (esp with a hands on room where Norah could explore).

While I wouldn't mind browsing in the stores, my husband would rather stick lobster claws in his eyes than be dragged around to the "trinket stores" (as he calls them). Shopping is always a dicey proposition these days anyway since Norah is two feet tall with a four foot wingspan. :p

Thanks!

Perhaps convert one of those old lobster traps there into a stroller ? :eek:
Wouldn't take much, some wheels, a handle...

;)

This parent should be institutionalized, however;

baby-lobster.preview.jpg

That's just not right.

Last edited:
Jordan Pond house is a nice spot for lunch, with a gift shop. The popovers there are great. The quiet side of the island is worth a visit too to see Seawall, Southwest Harbor, and there is an antique auto museum and pottery shop in Seal Harbor.

You might consider hiking the carriage roads if it's only drizzle, they are open enough for umbrellas and good footing