Tim Pond Road - Cupsuptic Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Does anyone have recent beta on the Tim Pond / Wiggle Brook roads in Maine? Are they plowing them this year?

Looking to 'whack Cupsuptic Snow.

Thanks!

There is a group who should have done this today. They will be home Wednesday and should respond. From what I knew when I left Maine yesterday, atleast the River Rd was plowed to the last gate. Making the ski into Cup Snow about 7 to 9 miles. They were getting beta on Tim Pond Rd Sunday afternoon but we left before they returned. It should likely be broken out for you since the group was about 9-10 hikers. Good Luck.

sli74

Sure, u_d, you go have fun with that. :)

I remember the Tim Pond Bypass, Lincoln Pond Road, and Wiggle Brook Road to get to Cupsuptic Snow. The bridge across the Kennebago that connected to the Kennebago River Road is gone. So unless I've screwed up my geography, plowing on the River Road won't help?

Sure, u_d, you go have fun with that. :)

I remember the Tim Pond Bypass, Lincoln Pond Road, and Wiggle Brook Road to get to Cupsuptic Snow. The bridge across the Kennebago that connected to the Kennebago River Road is gone. So unless I've screwed up my geography, plowing on the River Road won't help?

That bridge is long gone. Too bad. The old gravel pit on the east side of the river made a great campsite complete with picnic table and fireplace! It was an illegal campsite I later learned from the Forest Service but no one ever interfered with the "amenities", or with us.

... came with its own resident deer, occasional moose following the roads and I swear I heard a few wolves, perhaps coyote hybrids, in the vicinity of "Canada Road".

The route from Lincoln Pond Rd. to Wiggle Brook Road is on the west side of the river.

Have no idea what the plowing situation is there this year. There usually seems to be logging in the area so I think the odds are that it is plowed ... the Forest Service in Oquossoc can probably answer that.

Tim Pond Road is only plowed a few tenths of a mile currently. We did not do Cupsuptic.

I think Arm and Frodo scouted that one and it was also not plowed. Kennabago River Road was plowed but after the thaw/freeze over the weekend it was a sheet of ice and we could not get in that way either.

Oh no Hamtero, I am sorry Snow Cup eluded the group again but am a little selfishly happy cause I get to join in the fun next year. What did you guys end up hiking?

MJ, Dani scouted Kennebago River Road and was able to drive all the way to the last gate, so maybe the bridge is fixed or she went in a different way. Hopefully she will fill us in but I know for sure she scouted it on Friday and it was drivable in her car.

sli74

Close enough perhaps?

Hey Onestep! (and all you other VFTTers) Long time, no see...

I just spoke with a guy from Seven Islands and he said that they are plowing Morton Cut-off/Lincoln/Portage Brook rds to a point just west of Bull Mt.

I mentioned some friends were looking for a Cupsuptic Mtn hike and his thought this was a reasonable point of departure. There would of course be a sled trail to walk on that probably goes right by that there Cupsuptic Snow.

so...anyone have beta on Success Pd road? :cool: looking to get out to Goose Eye Thursday.

Cheers!

-michael

MJ, Dani scouted Kennebago River Road and was able to drive all the way to the last gate, so maybe the bridge is fixed or she went in a different way. Hopefully she will fill us in but I know for sure she scouted it on Friday and it was drivable in her car.

sli74

The other thing is, MJ, if I remember correctly she <Dani> approached most of the six pack from different points than us so maybe she knows something we don't??

The Morton Cut Off is plowed past the Lincoln Pond/Tim Pond intersection towards Burnt Mt, but Skimom and I didn't drive up it on Burnt Mt Rd. We did meet a sled dog guy who said we couldn't get very far up the road so we didn't even try.

Regardless, even though some of these logging roads are plowed, you can't drive on them right now because they are currently a sheet of ice. They don't sand these roads, just plow them for logging trucks with chains to get up, and they are quite scary right now! :eek: If you get stuck on one of these roads, your likely going to be without your vehicle until spring...

As mentioned, Tim Pond Rd and Lincoln Pond Rd are not even plowed.

Skimom scouted out Snow Chain of Ponds yesterday, and not even snowmobiles have been on the road. That would be an 18 mile epic one right now...

Another thing, the snow is quite deep up there. Took 9 of us 10-1/2 hours just to do the Crockers from the CRV/AT route (and the ski in & out was sweet!). Breaking out Snow Cup is going to be a tough day, especially from the Bull Mtn Route if it is even accessable...

roads to cupsupitc snow

I was just there on 9/07, I tookMorton cutoff to Tim Pond rd.,left on wiggle brook. there is active logging on Tim pond and Wiggle Brook rd. they stopped and let me pass. I scouted around afterwards, I can confirmthat the bridge to connect Wiggle Brook to canada/ken River rd.is there. I found Can./Ken river rd. slightly better and wider with no logging, not to saythat a truck loaded with logs won't. pass.

Well I'm back to confused, then, because my link is the former bridge I thought we were all talking about. I even checked my GPS track from that day to confirm that fact (I did a quick out and back on foot to see it), and the fact that we didn't even try to drive over the bridge you're talking about ... we turned left (north) off Lincoln Pond Rd shortly before it, staying just west of the river all the way up to the former bridge that I'm talking about, before swinging NW up to where we parked.

Last edited: