To Fellow Trailrunner users

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Last summer I did a complete transformation to hiking full time in trail runners. After a Pemi traverse last April I had never felt so much pain in all parts of my legs so I threw the clunky boots in the closet and never looked back. Now I know everyone is still in winter mode, but I have an early spring question. For those of you who hike in trailrunners, do you use GoreTex models for early spring when it is muddy and wet, or do you stick with non-waterproof ones that will dry out quicker. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've always gone for the non GoreTex for the following reasons: I haven't had a pair of shoes (trail runners or otherwise) with GoreTex that the GoreTex seemed to make a difference with leaking, and for trail runners, it keeps my feet too warm.

For wet conditions, I found a pair of North Face trail runners that are a stiff mesh at an EMS last year. The model name might be Sieve. I got them primarily because they were on sale. They're perfect when you know your feet will get wet because the water can drain out easily.

As for drying time, I haven't noticed a difference between GoreTex and non-GoreTex trail runners. Either way, they dry faster than boots!

For really wet conditions, I hike/run in my North Face Ultra 103 XCR's. Just happened to find them in the return pile at EMS one day. $55. I pair them with the EMS Scrambler Gaiters. Great combo.

For not so wet conditions or if it's really hot out, I'll use my LaSportiva Exum Ridge trail runners. I got the older blue and black model from Campmor for $39 (I think...may have been $29...)

Last edited:
I wear running shoes as soon as I possibly can, specifically anything by Montrail (yes, I have a financial interest). :D :D :D The Hurricane Ridge, Susitna, and Mountain Mist models work particularly well in wet/snowy conditions.

In my experience, GoreTex kinda-sorta does what it's supposed to do for a period of time. As the material wears out/ages/gets dirty, the "breathability" diminishes.

If you're going to wear GoreTex running shoes with the idea of keeping your feet dry, you should probably also be wearing gaiters as a lot of wetness actually gets in through the top of your shoes. These don't have to be big knee-high gaiters; there are many good quality, tighter fitting mini-gaiters on the market nowadays. I have some OR mini-gaiters that work very well.

Others have had good luck with neoprene socks, but I've never gone that route myself.

Boots? Blech! :mad:

Stinkyfeet said:
I wear running shoes as soon as I possibly can, specifically anything by Montrail (yes, I have a financial interest). :D :D :D The Hurricane Ridge, Susitna, and Mountain Mist models work particularly well in wet/snowy conditions.
QUOTE]

Montrail fan myself. The Hardrocks are by and far the most comfortable kicks I have ever own, besides my Chaco flip flops that is.

I've worn gore tex (XCR) trailrunners throughout the season. I put a lot of miles on them and don't find them to decrease in breathability.

I get very warm so in the summer time I really have no use for gore-tex since my feet heat will dry out the shoes most of the time anyway. But for winter and really wet cold conditions I use my Salomon XA Pro 3Ds.

jbrown said:
For really wet conditions, I hike/run in my North Face Ultra 103 XCR's. Just happened to find them in the return pile at EMS one day. $55. I pair them with the EMS Scrambler Gaiters. Great combo.
FYI, North Face makes the Scree Gaiter that is made specifically for that shoe. It has hooks that hook onto the two bands on the side and the band on the back of the shoe.
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=A789

I don't use my trail runners (non Gore-Tex) until conditions melt/dry in later spring. For hiking in wet snow/muddy conditions, I use a midweight (3 lbs./pair) Gore-Tex boot.

cbcbd said:
FYI, North Face makes the Scree Gaiter that is made specifically for that shoe.

Yeah, I've seen those, but I got the EMS model because I can use them with my other running shoes, and I had a gift certificate to purchase them with. Thanks for the info, though.

asics trabucos for me. whatever. but if ya find some shoes ya really dig--buy about three or four pairs, cause all these shoe companies are always tweakin' 'em and messin' up a good thing and then ya just have to get used to a new pair all over again. so when ya get a good 'un, buy in bulk. expensive but worth it. :) :)

word.

I just go with a non gortex trail runner. I cant see spending the money on gortex running shoes especially when you look at the life span of a running shoe. Plus I found my feet get wet from sweat so either way I always end a run with wet feet.

If you don't want to spring for Gtex and are not grossed out easily, a good slathering of Vaseline on your feet will "waterproof" them for anywhere from 2-8 hours depending on just how wet it is, how much water your shoe retains, and even how much of the Vaseline gets absorbed by your sock. It will also ward off blisters by preventing hot spots. It's a bit squishy feeling at first :eek: ! You'll want to lace up on the snug side as your foot/sock/shoe interface is now well lubed.

The main problem isn't so much water getting into your shoe, but not being able to get out - this creates a mini-washing machine effect inside your shoe, the absolute last thing you want.

My wish - a shoe that would be fully supportive ( not like the lightweight "amphibian" shoes) but have a drain sytem with some kind of one-way valve (Sump-Thin Valves™)? that would use the natural pumping motion of the foot strike to evacuate the water that ends up in the sole through little ports.

Good advice Bruno. I LOVE my old Merrells - bought two pairs when I found them - cannot find anything like them anymore.

As for the pump - you mean like when you see the water ooze out of your shoe when stepping down, finding a way to keep it from getting sucked back in?

before delving into trial and error (or is that trail and error?) i always look at the thru-hiker forums to see what they think is tried and true - and i usually find they are acuurate. the thru-hikers generally opt for NO gore-tex on the theory that shoes dry out faster w/o. that's what i've gone to. and as far as brands, whatever fits best. one caveat though, get a sole that is somewhat sticky but will last. i picked up a pair of Nike zoom air (Steens?) cause they were just sooo darn comfortbale - BUT the tread wore off remarkably fast. so i think i just gona have to go back to my New balance trail runners as those soles are still going strong