TR: Tug Hill Snow 1/17-1/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedan

Reaction score
No summits or high peaks involved but many thousands of vertical skied over 3 days on the Tug Hill, NY and nearby state lands. If you like to get out and snowshoe, XC ski or BC ski in solitude and as deep snow as you will find anywhere in the east, the Tug can't be beat. The snowpack currently is at 4 1/2' with deep powder on top of a locked up base. Slowly warmed throughout the 3 day weekend with temps at -10F starting out Saturday morning and nearing 20F at end of day Monday. A few photos speak volumes on the incredible snow. My wife and I had quite series of days of tele shredding!:D

Saturday 1/17
1-17-09SR148.jpg

1-17-09SR145.jpg

Sunday 1/18
1-19-08SR043.jpg

1-19-08SR052.jpg

Monday 1/19
PF007.jpg

P1200038.jpg

I have a family hunting camp on Tug Hill. At least 3 times a season I have ski in a mile and a half to shovel the roof from 3+ feet of snow. Just did it yesterday as a matter of fact. Great fun, if it wasn't for the constant din of snowmobiles. :(

Last edited:
I have a family hunting camp on Tug Hill. At least 3 times a season I have ski in a mile and a half to shovel the roof from 3+ feet of snow. Just did it yesterday as a matter of fact. Great fun, if it wasn't for the constant din of snowmobiles. :(

Lots of snow in there. Where we were skiing on Monday there were two bald eagles circling overhead for most of day. I figure they must make their living off winter kill in one of the big deer yards up there.

I hear you about the snowmobs, that is what is nice about skiing the steep wooded slopes and ravines, they can't get there.