Tracks in soft, slightly dense snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espy

Reaction score
Any input on these tracks would be appreciated. Sorry, not much for size comparison in the pictures, but they were on average about 2 1/2-3" wide and 3 1/2 - 4" long as seen. Temps were mild and the tracks were in snow, so they were probably slightly enlarged by melting.

Your pics make it really hard to make out the track. There are some websites with pictures of animal tracks, but without a clear picture, pretty hard to match. Could it be this-
http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/muskrat.html

On another site, I saw a track of something called a fisher-looked similar as well.

Last edited:
looks like snowshoe hare from what I can see in the second pic compared to my tracks chart.
those are some BIG WHITE BUNNIES, man, freaky big, talking to Alice big...

the pattern does not look like hare though, in the first pic, perhaps it was in a hurry and not laying proper patterns for us.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. The more I read and study various track pictures, the more I think the tracks in my pictures belong to a fisher. There certainly are plenty of snowshow hares, porkies, red squirrels, mice, voles, and grouse around the area to fill a fisher's belly.

It's pretty hard to tell exactly what these are with only one clear print. It's much easier when you can clearly see an entire track pattern. That being said I can tell you with certainty that this is not fisher.

gaiagirl said:
It's pretty hard to tell exactly what these are with only one clear print. It's much easier when you can clearly see an entire track pattern. That being said I can tell you with certainty that this is not fisher.

Yeah, after looking closer, or as close as I can see, probably not a fisher...

Cat? Monkey? :D

try this site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/topics/wildlife/mammal/tracks.html

gaiagirl said:
It's pretty hard to tell exactly what these are with only one clear print....
You said it, especially when you enlarge the pics and realize the animal was walking in it's own tracks :D...that one clear print looks like two prints to me. I'm leaning towards a domestic dog or maybe a coyote. I wouldn't rule out a fisher, cat, or monkey though. :D

In addition to the poor quality of the pics (sorry Espy), it looks like the sun and/or the wind have been working on the tracks as well.

When I first saw these pics I was also thinking Yeti. :)

I had never considered the manbearpig, but I don't think it's that either. He would be a walker and I think your track-maker might have been a hopper (it is hard to say though). :D