Tragedy in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My condolences to her family and friends.

People need to remember that getting away from civilization is precisely what appeals to many of us who love the outdoors. If they make it too easy to get to, we'll just find someplace else to get away. Yes, improved cell phone reception might have helped, but who would vote to approve (and pay to maintain) towers in that area?

Be careful out there, but when it is your time, it's your time.

DougPaul said:
Frost cracking is a major agent in loosening rock. Rock climbers know that there is more loose rock at mountain climbing areas (such as Cannon) in the early spring than later in the season (after much of the loose stuff has fallen or been intentionally pushed off).

One can often see frost-split boulders along a trail.

In this case, it sounds like it was just bad luck--being in the wrong place at the wrong time. (The reports say nothing about anyone being on or near the boulder just before it fell. Humans are often the "straw that breaks the camel's back" in initiating rockfall or avalanches that result in injuries.)

Doug

Spot on. The expansion of ice moves the rock. Springtime freezing and thawing often break the rocks loose especially when it works it's way into an existing crack of crevice.

What a terrible accident.

I saw a boulder break loose from the Pinnacle on Mt Washington while climbing the Huntington ravine in late summer a few years ago. It was terrifying. The stuff happens all the time, but if more frequent in the springtime. Like many have said, wrongplace/wrongtime.

-Dom

dom15931 said:
Spot on. The expansion of ice moves the rock. Springtime freezing and thawing often break the rocks loose especially when it works it's way into an existing crack of crevice.

9% expansion by volume, at 2200 pounds of force per square inch, I think.