Tragic Accident Near the Basin in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were hiking on Franconia Ridge that day, amazing to think how different our experience was. My condolences to the family.

-dave-

How very sad this is. My sympathies to all who knew the baby and the family.

Elsewhere in Franconia Notch yesterday, on the OBP, a hiker slipped and broke her foot. Fortunately, she received medical help fairly quickly:

Mass. hiker carried off Franconia Notch
By Associated Press
Monday, July 31, 2006 - Updated: 10:31 AM EST

FRANCONIA, N.H. - New Hampshire Fish and Game rescuers carried a Massachusetts woman off Franconia Notch after she broke her foot while hiking. Fifty-year-old Robin Lipsor of Lexington, Massachusetts, took a bad step and broke her foot while hiking Old Bridal Path yesterday with friends and family. Fish and Game Sergeant Brian Suttmier said it took rescuers three hours to carry her off the mountain.

That is so sad & tragic, it's such a beign & peaceful spot. My sympathy to the family.

I was hiking with my family at the same time (in the Conway area) and was carrying our 4 month old on my chest...it is so hard to beleive such a tragedy in such calm circumstances. Condolences to the family.

My sympathies to the family, I can't imagine the
loss of a child.
Mike and his nephews were at Upper Falls on Saturday,
when a twenty three year old died swimming.
He got caught in a whirlpool.
All this news is so very sad.

All the times I've hiked in that location I would never imagine something like this. All I can say or do is offer prayers and condolences to the family.

mtnmama said:
My sympathies to the family, I can't imagine the
loss of a child.
Mike and his nephews were at Upper Falls on Saturday,
when a twenty three year old died swimming.
He got caught in a whirlpool.
All this news is so very sad.

The Upper Falls, which run along the Base Road to the Cog near the Mt. Washington Hotel, are well-known locally for their treacherous "hydraulics" (sucking undercurrent) after sudden rainfalls, especially t-storms such as this area had today from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. The first pool, which the falls empty into first, is particularly deadly. In the last several years, there have been at least two deaths and two near-drownings, all involving young men, I believe, who jumped off the rock cliffs into the first pool. The Mt Washington Hotel used to try to fence off the area but never had much luck prohibiting access. Now the WMNF owns it. As tempting as it is, especially on hot days like these, this is simply not a safe place to swim.