Trail condition Garfield Ridge Trail Lafayette to Garfield?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KauaiGuy

Reaction score
What can I expect this time of year between Lafayette and Garfield? Has Garfield Ridge Trail been broken out to anyone's knowledge? Hoping to loop up Lafayette and down Garfield in early April. Deep, soft snow could be a deal-breaker...

Although I don't know whether this section of is broken out or not at the moment, I do know that it receives far less traffic than any of the other trails in the area. Deep soft snow is almost a guarantee if the temps are above freezing.

All conditions are likely in this stretch. This is definitely one that should be planned with great care as there are no good bails outs. Skookumchuck is somewhat infamous as being difficult to follow from the ridge down into the trees and realistically the far worse section if closer to Garfield where the trail runs into the woods.

"The forecast calls for PAIN!"

Seriously though - a few years back I backpacked solo on the AT from 302 to Franconia Notch and besides getting "temporarily misplaced" on Guyot in a whiteout, the section from Garfield to North Lafayette made me want to cry repeatedly. Highly character building and a wonderful memory now that it is over :)