trail conditions section??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the trail conditions section? All I get are ones from November--nothing more recent than that.

An interim step is to delete all the November reports. That will make people more likely to read the text at the top of the existing Trail Conditions page.

nartreb said:
An interim step is to delete all the November reports. That will make people more likely to read the text at the top of the existing Trail Conditions page.
It's not a good idea to delete any old reports. They are a resource.

A better idea would be to have an automatic redirect set with a timer, so after 30 seconds or so it will bring the user to the new page.

Ultimately, the url of the old page should send you right to the new page with some kind of link for browsing the old reports.

I do agree it is a bit more difficult to navigate then it was in the past. It seems like I can find a report or post one day then the next I can no longer find it. I have found using the search pull down useful for finding different posts.
I have also noticed may times people don't put dates or routes in the posts. Maybe adding dialogue box laid out in sections to be filled out would work.

PackMule said:
It seems like I can find a report or post one day then the next I can no longer find it.

It is a sequential list in the order of when they were posted. Just like the old format. I have no idea why you can see apost one day and not the next. It will be in the exact same spot in the list as it was the day before. Posting replies to a TC thread is shut off, so the order of the list does not change based on replies. The order is based on time of original post. There is no mystery to it.

PackMule said:
Maybe adding dialogue box laid out in sections to be filled out would work.

As far as we know, you can not do that with this software.

- darren

Viewseeker said:
if its the same , i guess im missing to button cause all i see is standard thread posting box like the one im writing in now. HELP!!!!

Ahh -- I see you want your post to be formatted like the old days. I thought you meant the trail conditions organized like by state. Darren has a template in place in the sticky thread in each forum (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19201 for example) which contains mostly what you want. It contains the template with the description. Maybe, when you're not too busy Darren, you can add a reply to each one with just the text headers, and then we can grab that using the mouse, cut-and-paste into the text box, and off we go.

HTH,
Tim

If you see posts one day but not the next, keep in mind the Trail Conditions are now just like the rest of the Forum, and the amount of time you "look into the past" is configurable.

Go into the User Control Panel ("User CP") and select your "Options". On that page will be a section called "Default Thread Options" and within it, "Default Thread Age Cutoff".

Or, if you're in a forum, like NH Trail Conditions, you can scroll to the bottom and select "From the:" to change how far back to display.

No, Pack Mule is right. There are definitely trail condition reports that have disappeared. Looking for one post, I could not find it using search or by looking through the threads (I went all the way back to a prior post by the same individual, which was hiked the week before the post I was looking for.) The post was definitely gone -- the author of the report could not find it either.

- Ivy

Last edited:
The only TC posts that disappeared are ones containing spam or questions / discussions type of posts. If the post contains more questions than info it gets booted.

Since the TC forums are wide open for non-members to post in, a lot of posts have been deleted. Nothing of value though.

If there were posts disappearing in the TC forums then it would be happening in the other forums too...and I would get a lot of complaints about it.

- darren