Trango Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucknuts61

Reaction score
My hiking partner is considering doing some winter hiking with me and is looking at purchasing Trango crampons.
I have never heard of this brand (I do know they make hiking shoes...not boots) and I can not find any information other than their own hype.
Does anyone have any opinions on this brand....good, bad or other.

I did tell him that for the same $$ he could buy Grivels or BD's, they're all around a $100, and he is insterested in the strap-ons. It's just that the BD's and Grivel are 10 pts, and Trango are 12.
Thank you!
Bill (pucknuts61)

Trango makes top-notch climbing gear of all kinds.

The important thing is that you do not buy ice climbing crampons, they are useless for anything but ice climbing.

The second consideration is that the gear be labeled 'CE'. Some American firms don't want to pay the price of production line inspections as well as product inspections - much more expensive than the old UIAA certification. You see this with some American made ice axes. Personally, if these companies don't want to pay for CE certification, I don't want their gear - I wouldn't climb stairs with non CE gear.

I googled Trango and their mountain/alpine crampon are CE certified. While I have no experience with this brand of crampons, the company and the rating give me full confidence.

Doug

12-pointers typically have the additional points up front, which are solely useful for front-pointing.
For hiking, 12-pointers shouldn't be considered "better". All you do with hiking crampons is French Technique where you are trying to keep all the bottom-facing points in the ice at the same time. 10-pointers are fine for hiking. That's why every company makes 10-pointers. Rationalizing 12-pointers for hiking is like the guy in "This is Spinal Tap" rationalizing the volume knob that "goes to 11" :D
But, I see alot of Trango harnesses in the gym and at the crags, so the company is legit. :)

Cheers,
PS

Paul Skelly said:
12-pointers typically have the additional points up front, which are solely useful for front-pointing.

the difference between 10 and 12 pointers is not the front points. It's an extra set of vertical points in the 2nd row back from the front (under the ball of your foot). Most, if not all, full crampons (as opposed to instep crampons) have front points.

Go to Grivel's website for reference.

spencer

Trangos or bust

Pucknuts(?)

I use their alloy product to save weight (mainly in the Daks) and for short alpine hops. They stand behind their products and are based out of Colorado and are an easy company to deal with. ( (303) 530-3035 Oliver) Regarding general crampons for alpine rockwork, glaciers and eastern peaks if you use crampons often -- I would stay with steel and grivel. My son’s trango, broke first trip out in the valley blanche just tightening the strap. We don't generally use cramps with a front bail as to be totally compatible with our shoe systems. For dedicated Ice work this is different.

The Grivels are a staple as they are indestructible (mostly) on snow, ice, or rock and fit on any shoe including mouse boots. The may be a bit heavier but for the general stuff a good investment.

I stopped counting the number of points shortly after crampons were no longer hand forged.

Michael

I believe another difference between the Grivel G10s and the G12s is the side points on the G12 stick out more, i.e. they're angled a bit such that they have a "camber", the points are not purely vertical. Because of that, they also have a greater tendency to poke into things like your other leg. :)

Jay

AS stated earlier 10pts arefor hiking/glaicer travel(french or flat footing)12pts can also preform these styles of foot work but have another set of under the ball of the foot points and the biggest diff is that the front horrizonal points are longer to allow more penetration for standing on the front points(front pointing/technical climbing) which for general mountianeering or walking crampons are more likley to trip you up.Regular 10pt crampons will still allow you to make a move or two front pointing if you have them set up corectly and they fit properly(ridgid/semi-ridiged boots)Durability(steel) should be considered as well as boot compatibility(sales rep should be able to identify boot/crampon compatibility over the phone)as well as binding type.Sorry for babbling so much. :rolleyes: