Tripyramids, North & Middle Peaks 5/26/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
:) May 26, 2007: Mount Tripyramid – North and Middle Peaks

Trails: Pine Bend Brook Trail, Mount Tripyramid Loop Trail, Sabbaday Brook Trail

Distance – Elevation: 10 Miles, 3,100 Feet

The day had an interesting start. On the way to the McDonalds in Lincoln where Scoutmaster-Gary and I were to meet I passed the remains of a Ford pickup that had evidently had a close encounter with a moose just north of Plymouth on I-93. It looked like there was no winner in that one. I heard from Tom (Tom and Atticus) a day earlier indicating he may stop by to see us at McDonalds. A few minutes after I arrived and parked in came Tom and Atticus. It was really good to see both of them. We visited for fifteen to twenty minutes and set off for the Pine Bend Brook Trail on the Kancamagus Highway. We had great conditions for the day and wanted to get started.

Upon arriving at the trailhead we met a hiker waiting for us, a fellow named Bill from Philadelphia. He saw the hike posted and asked us if he could join in. Of course! While we prepared to get started another couple hikers pulled in, Pete and Judy from the Portland, Maine area. They too joined us. We all loaded up and set off on the Pine Bend Brook Trail. Because of recent reports Scoutmaster and I had snowshoes and Stabilicers on our packs, in case the conditions warranted.

The trail is completely clear of snow and ice to a short distance past the Scaur Ridge Trail. There were a few mud pits that we easily worked our way around. Also, there were a few blowdowns but none created a real problem. After approximately two miles Judy and Pete pulled out ahead of us and settled into their comfortable pace, which was significantly faster. We continued at “our pace” up the brook bed to the “sharp left” and on to the trails junction with the Scaur Ridge Trail. A short distance before the junction we stopped for some refreshments.

After passing the Scaur Ridge Trail we started to encounter an increasing amount of ice on the trail. Eventually the trail was generally covered with ice that had a flow of water over many sections. The slippery conditions and the increasing steepness of the trail caused us to pull out the Stabilicers at 3,700 feet (we should have pulled them out a couple hundred feet earlier but, we’re guys, we don’t ask directions either). With the traction problem out of the way our next stop was North Tripyramid. When we arrived we started to see other hikers. There were a couple and a dog plus a solo hiker at the summit of North Tripyramid when we arrived. While there we were told the Sabbaday Brook Trail was clear hiking with no ice and no stream crossing concerns. It was described as “a walk in the park”. The suggestion was made that we should follow it on our hike out. We stayed on North Tripyramid for only a short time and headed off for the Middle Tripyramid peak. Along the way we met other hikers.

We arrived at Middle Tripyramid and found Pete and Judy. They had already visited the South Tripyramid peak as well and were preparing to head out. Fast hikers (by my standards at least)! They originally planned to hike out on the Downes Brook Trail but I expressed a concern with high water and they changed their exit plans to the Sabbaday Brook Trail.

We decided to have our lunch on the middle peak and while there a steady parade of hikers came from north and south on the Tripyramid Loop Trail. There was a picnic at each of the lookout areas and hikers were waiting for us to depart the summit clearing to make room for them. A very crowded place for sure.

We reversed our route and headed to the Sabbaday Brook Trail. We were told there was no ice, the trail was clear, and there was no high water issue. A clear, downhill run to the Kancamagus! Why not make the change and deal with a short road walk at the end?

The initial part of the Sabbaday Brook Trail is a steep section with very rough conditions and multiple blowdowns, none of which were a real problem, just a small inconvenience. At approximately 3,500 feet we were out of the ice and removed the Stabilicers. From here to the Sabbaday Brook was generally clear sailing. There was an occasional mud pit but nothing severe. Along this section the couple from the north peak with the dog came up behind us and we all hiked together for a while. At the first couple crossings there was no problem. I believe the third or fourth crossing was where this couple took the lead and headed out at a brisk pace. Bill was able to hike a faster hike but Scoutmaster and I were content with the slow and steady approach we had used up to this point.

As we continued our hike, the Sabbaday Brook became higher and wider and the exposed rocks became fewer and further between. We managed to handle the crossings by hiking upstream and finding places that had adequate exposed rocks or downed trees. I lost count, there must be seven or eight crossings – each a little more difficult than the last. We managed to meet every water test successfully, except for the next-to-the-last. I managed to step on a slippery rock and soaked both feet. Fortunately, that was all that happened, Scoutmaster had some difficulty in the same general area and managed to pick up a couple battle scars along with the soaked feet. It could have been worse.

It had been quite a while since we had seen anybody else on the trail, including Bill. I started to fantasize about him (take it easy). I was thinking he took off with the other couple and got a ride to the Pine Bend Brook Trail trailhead to retrieve his car and save old BIGEarl and the Scoutmaster the roadwalk. We found Bill and around thirty others at the Sabbaday Falls. After a few pictures we walked out to the parking area. Along the way I told Bill about my fantasy. When we stepped into the lot Bill turned to the right and opened the hatchback on his car. What a guy!

We packed our things into his car and he drove us back to our start, and waiting vehicles. This certainly was a tiring experience for only a ten mile hike. I was beat, and I believe Scoutmaster was too. I’m sure the heat over the final three+ miles had something to do with it. I could have used a fifth liter of water. It looks like I’ll once again start packing my filter.

We said goodbye and were off. Another great day in the Mountains – and a couple new friends.

BIGEarl's Pictures

:)

Last edited:
Hey :) ,
Enjoyed the trip report. Sounds and looks like a great day out. I've never been up that way, but will have to try it some time.

Earl,

Your advise regarding the Downes Brook Trail was right on target! Alan and I hiked down it last Sunday and the hike could almost be described as "Epic". The easiest crossings near the top were knee deep and the last few were about waist deep with the water running hard and fast. We looked long and hard for the easiest and safest places to cross. A trail best avoided during snow melt season!

Thanks, we had a great day. In addition to the footwear for the ice I had a good supply of Deet. Didn't need it! :D

I'm sure that is going to change in a week or two.

The firsat choice for the weekend didn't come together but I'll try again.

Early Bird said:
Hey :) ,
Enjoyed the trip report. Sounds and looks like a great day out. I've never been up that way, but will have to try it some time.

Early Bird, You should have adjusted your priorities and joined the fun.

As you know, the Whiteface - Passaconaway hike didn't come together for Sunday. I'm looking at trying again this weekend to see if there's interest. These peaks are just down the ridge from Mount Tripyramid. ;)

Carpool??? It's an early start.

Woody48 said:
Earl,

Your advise regarding the Downes Brook Trail was right on target! ..... A trail best avoided during snow melt season!

Woody48 - I completely agree. I have first hand experience with the Downes Brook Trail at this time of the year. It's interesting. And, a trail to avoid.

FYI, Side comment:

Scoutmaster has his impressions from the hike posted on another board (Rocks) in the thread I started. After reading it I was in tears. Funny! It's worth the trip.