tuckerman ravine equipment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bills328

Reaction score
I am considering hiking/skiing Tuckerman Ravine in a few weeks. Please give me your opinions on necessary footwear. I hiked the Lions Head winter route this year with an EMS guide but have only done Tuckerman's in the summer.

From what I've read it seems like crampons aren't required, or am I wrong? I know Tuckerman's is steep and I want to make it as safe as possible. Please let me know how you have done it in the past. Thanks for the reccommendations.

Bills, unless there is a considerable snowstorm, you should be fine in bare boots. If you wish, throw the snow shoes on your pack,great,however I doubt you may need them, that route is well packed,especially at this time of year. Crampons would not be needed on that stretch of trail. Have fun.

Sorry, forgot to mention, if you are not familiar with these sites, check out timefortuckerman.com, tuckerman.org and mountwashington.org as well as this site for current conditions. I wish I was back there now, although it was just four days ago, its seems like an eternity. Embace the last vestiges of winter!

We were climbing in Tuck's this again this Saturday. Bareboot was fine to Ravine, but we used ice axe and crampons in Lobster Claw. There was a bad injury (separated/dislocated shoulder) at the top of Left Gully. According to the Avy ranger, it took them 4 tries to reset the shoulder. It was also teh poor guy's first run of the day, and he never even got the skis on :( The higher you go, the icier it gets. Right Gully has some falling ice, so most were skiing the hourglass, headwall and Left Gully, with many others opting to head into Hillman's. It was a god awful day for conditions on Saturday, completely different from the week before. I saw far fewer smiles, and the tenure of the day was "It's still better than working". For HarryK, skimom and me, crampons and ice axe were the tools of the day (along with every piece of waterproof gear you owned)!

For skiing in a "few weeks" I'd guess that crampons will not be needed. If in doubt, bring them along :)

I was at Tuckermans on Sunday, what a bad scene. Flooding everywhere, I was up to my knees in water right before the first bridge over the cascade (The bridge looked like it was not going to take the abuse). I have never seen the trail so flooded.