Tully Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
This is certainly no dramatic peak and normally I wouldn't even mention it but it was such a nice spot and only about 1 - 1 1/2 hours from the Boston area that it is too sweet to pass up. Located in north central Mass near Athol off rt. 2, the "mountain" is a little over 1100 ft. with probably under 400 ft. of elevation gain. There is a well marked loop of about 2 1/2 miles and views on the summit ledges of Monadnock to the north, Wachusett to the east and towards the Connecticut River Valley to the southwest. A few hundred feet of bushwhack to the west and there are more views.

The short loop to the mountain is part of a longer 22 mile Tully Trail which forms a loop with a shelter about halfway at Royalston Falls. There is also a 4mile loop around Tully Lake.

There are several miles of bike trail not to mention numerous country and gravel roads that meander through small villages and farms.

Tully Lake has a canoe launch with access to the lake and to Long Pond and at least five miles of comparatively remote paddling thru mixed woods and marshlands towards the headwaters. Lawrence Brook also appears to have some potential with a launch perhaps on rt. 68 but between the quiet water and the lake are Spirit Falls, another short hike, and a unique river stone bridge.

These trails show great promise for snow shoeing and cross country skiing.

Here's a link to the Army Corps of Engineers map: http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/tul/Tully%20Lake%20Park%20Map%202009.pdf

Be aware that the trails pass through state and private property open to hunting so take precautions during hunting season. There is no hunting in Mass. on Sundays.

Hi Stan,

You're definitely right about the Tully Trail having promise for snowshoeing. I've hiked Tully Mountain a few times, hiked on a few different parts of the trail, camped at the shelter in late October of 2010, and also launched my kayak and paddled the lake and up to Long Pond. This is definitely an area worth checking out if you have the opportunity

It's a tough little climb to the Peak, and it has a great direct view of Monadnock. It is on my list to complete the loop in full, and I've definitely been thinking about snow-shoeing it.

You're right about hunters in the area around the fall. I ran into a few in the early AM when I did a 21.6 mile day hike from the shelter to Mt. Monadnock last year. That hike alone was very unique to me, as the trail joined with logging roads, main highways, then little towns (Fitzwilliam, MA), and then back into the woods. It was like a mini Appalachian trail experience in 21.6 miles. I have some pictures from my blog posts, for anyone looking for more information.

It is an excellent area for various types of recreation. I've done the entire Tully Trail and there is one road walk in particular that can be hazardous. As you exit Tully Mt to the west, Tully Road to Butterworth Road has really no shoulder to walk on, there are steep embankments on both sides, and it winds quite a bit so that there are blind spots where you can't see a car approaching. This is one section where permission couldn't be gotten to cross private land.

Hey Stan, did you bring your Tully-vision with you? ... or perhaps a Tully-phone? :rolleyes: I did this mountain with the Peakmaster some years ago ... good one!
No, but I did bring my tull'quila!

Jacobs Hill

Thanks for posting this, Stan. It serves as a great reminder to visit this area again. We've canoed the lake and once, in winter, hiked in to Royalston Falls.

Right by the trailhead closest to the shelter and the Falls, there is a very old cemetery that was interesting to visit.

Jacobs Hill is a Trustees of Reservations property and looks like a promising destination for Sunday morning.

Pat T

As this is in my backyard and a favorite training ground I thought I would offer some observations. This is very worthwhile if you are in the neighborhood, because of great views, fun terrain, and lots of options. I know I am not the only one that runs laps on this little gem, and I think the main loop is closer to two miles than two and a half, as otherwise I am faster than I know I am!

I like to do this clockwise, ascending from the south up the steep and 'ledgy' trail. Its not often you get to play on the rocks and ledges on a small hill to the degree you do on Tully. Pushing hard up this trail is a great workout. I then cruaise over the summit and take the remainder of the loop, which is much more gradual and 'woodsie' back to the starting point. Repeat as time and energy allow. I figure 4 Tully = 1 Monadnock, 12 Tullys = 1 Washington, etc.

Also recommended is to begin at Tully Dam on route 32 and to take the Tully trail the 3 or so miles cross country to the mountain and back, making about a 6 mile round trip through some nice wood lands, although last time I did it the trail was somewhat obscure due to recent logging activity. Another approach is from the west where the Tully trail exits at the junction of Warwick Rd and Tully brook. This is roughly a 2 mile hike to the summit (4 mi rt). As previously noted these are popular hunting grounds, so wear something bright in season. I have seen skiing activity from the west as well, and once the snow hits I will have some snowshoe routes broken out for you :rolleyes:

I've hiked the pieces of the Tully loop at least once each, and been to the summit 3 times, all in late November when it was rifle deer season in NH but not MA.

Even the state roads in that part of MA are narrow and twisty, with ruts in the pavement that tend to fill with ice on cool mornings. Hikes tend to feature wet oak leaves. More challenge than might be expected :)

Just did the loop on Tully Mtn. today. Thanks for the great suggestion, Stan. Lots of leaves on the path but, otherwise, no issues with traction. Saw a few hunters who were out checking their plans for tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Pat T