Twins, Bonds, Zealand, Hale - June 11, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Who: Eric Rathbun, Megan Krey, Una_dogger, Terra and Madison the Traildoggies

Where: N Twin Trail, Twin Way, Bondcliff Trail, Twin Way again, Lend a Hand, Fire Warden's Path

Mileage~ 24 miles

Gain ~5300 ft

7 Four Thousand Footers

13 Hours

Miles of fun!

The forecast went from 30% of showers to 100% overnight. Fortunatley for me, neither Eric or Megan had read the weather report in the morning before starting their long drives to the Whites.

We met at N Twin. There we ran into Gary Thompkins, and Hikes With Him and her husband (Hikes with Her?). We headed out N Twin - and did a bit of trailwork on our way up -- clearing about five blowdowns, but leaving the largest above the third crossing of the river for another day.
Gary et al caught up to us as we were clearing a large downed pine, and gave us a hand moving it over. What can I say? Trail work is alot of fun!! Thanks for your help, friends!

We made it up to N Twin pretty quickly and were greeted by a stronger wind than predicted, but nothing that would turn us back. The clouds nestled into the cloves and notches were magical. It was here that I learned that my camera batteries were dead. :confused:

Without great views we saw no reason to hang around and headed off to S Twin. The recently and very generously brushed N Twin Spur Trail (Thanks Mnt Dave, our hats off to you!) was a welcome trek, no brushing through wet branches!!

We didn't linger long on South Twin, and headed off on the Twin Way. I hadn't been on this trail since 2004 and forgot how incredible lovely it is! Especially with a soft, warm rain wetting the branches, bark, ferns and lichens! Megan hadn't been on this section so it was a redline for her.

At Guyout, we decided to head out to Bondcliff first and tag West Bond on the way back; as the weather was still holding for us. The clouds along the open ridge danced back and forth across Hellgate, giving us peekaboo views of Bondcliff. Days like these I really enjoy, because without views, one eyes tend to travel to smaller beauties, like lichen circles on rocks, small ferns, flowers, random birdsongs. Really nice hike across, but alas, we were in the rain and full fog on Bondcliff. We overshot the summit, and then doubled back once we realized our oversight.

Heading back across we passed a few groups coming out from Guyot, everyone in fine spirits despite the weather. We also met two trailrunners doing a Pemi Loop, just below Bond on their way out, at approximately 2pm. Way to go, guys! great pace, especially considering the wet rocks and trails!

We dropped pack and headed to West Bond. Almost immediately I wished I still had my pack on as it was the only thing keeping my back warm and dry! The rain let up a bit for our summit, and we enjoyed some very mysterious, cloudy views into the Pemi.

Packs back on and rain pants came out, as it seemed we'd have the rain with us for the rest of the day. We crossed Guyot once again and picked up the Twin Way and continued to Zealand. A surreal moment as a slim Asian man travelled out of the fog solo carrying an umbrella, politely asked to pass us by, the dogs following him with thier curious gaze. We all saw it, so....how funny, he could have just as easily been walking down Boylston Street!

Zealand came and went. Last time I was here, Eric, TimC and I had to kneel down AND lower our heads to the sign, the snow was so deep, and it was mid March!!! Not so today, the sign was well above our heads!

Down we went, happily chatting. What a wonderful day - to spend outside in the dewey forest with entrepid travellers such as I, hiking and talking and barely stopping, keeping a perfectly comfortable rhythm from start to end.

At the Lend a Hand Jct, its now 520pm and although I offered, no one was interested in heading out via Zealand. So we turned up the mossy slopes of Mt Hale and gradually climbed the 1300 ft along the fern laden glades of the Lend A Hand Trail. Megan had not been on this trail and she really enjoyed it.

Somewhere near the top, Megan wondered if she had in fact hiked Hale before. I said that she'd know for sure once she reached the top. I dropped behind and summited last. Megan said she hadn't been on Hale before, and I remarked it was good that we came!!

I didn't have replacement lithium batteries for my SPOT, so I told everyone at the beginning of the hike that we were not allowed to get hurt, but mainly I carry a SPOT for the handy text message I can send my husband, MichaelJ that simply states, "running late, but having a great hike". I called Michael from the summit of Hale and he was pretty unconcerned and secure that I was on "Sabrina Time". Thank you, dear husband, for being so accepting of my lifestyle :).

We headed down the Firewarden's Path, and what a pleasure to descend from a long day of hiking on the softest, prettiest, and most magical trail in the White Mountains. The soft rain stopped and we were able to remove our hoods and hands from our pockets and really look around and enjoy the beauty of these glades.

Back at the trailhead I said good bye to my two good friends who share my love of long, long hikes. Back at the camper in less than ten minutes, Terra and I were warm and well fed!

Life is Good.

Great report Sabrina. Boy, that loop sounds nice (a 2 day hike for us mortals;)). No carspot, some killer peaks, and no Lincoln Woods/Wilderness trails........yes, I like that loop!

Petch