Twins/Galehead/Garfield Traverse (6/27/09)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
Date hiked Today. (Sat., June 27)

North Twin Trail: East bank herd-path to avoid first two crossings essential, as Little River was high. It's in good shape. Third crossing usually nothing, but was a small challenge today. Easiest way was 10 yards upstream from Trail. Rest of Trail in fine shape, as was North Twin Spur Trail.

Twinway. From So. Twin (nice to have views instead of dodging possible T-bolts of forecast) to Galehead Hut. 5th time I've hiked this, each time liking it less (and I didn't much the first time.) Wetness of boulders added to today's drudgery.

Garfield Ridge Trail. Another long-time unfavorite, with its PUDS, rocks and roots (to exclusion of all else.) Thunderstorms we avoided that soaked hikers coming from Garfield made part of the trail a rocky torrent.

E. Garfield Ridge Bushwhack This 3K peak looked like cake - less than .1 mile from GR Trail. Hah! Went up from NE, down due N. Both ways rotten. Even the canister is buried in thick stuff - they couldn't find a clear tree, I guess. And yet, some nice views up there.

Garfield Trail After 25 years, I finally get views from Garfield (on 3d try)! Funny this should happen on a dicey day we almost bagged for safe wuss choice like Tecumseh or something. Way down pretty inefficient - nearly 5 miles to descend 2,500 feet? Balm after G. Ridge Trail, nonetheless. In good shape and crossings all easy, like the Hikers said.

Special Equipment. Gaiters and a raincoat. (We got rained on steadily for 30 mins. on G. Trail, but when well down - no thunder.) No bugs, so no spray.

Hikers: Me (Amicus) and friend.

Last edited: