Twins (or G. Head & Special Sauce) + Bonds -- 6/9/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
On Saturday, me, Abster, Arm, Mtnpa, Jen, Al, Jeff and Chester (the fourlegged) met at the North Twin trailhead (after spotting cars at Lincoln Woods). Our plan was to head up to South Twin where we'd join up with Giggy and his crew who were hitting Galehead first.

On our way up North Twin we were really dialed in and cranking along. Arm, Mtnpa, and I decided to take the herd path and avoid the first two crossings. While the other group got to our side of the second crossing ahead of us, a couple of them took foot baths. Fortunately, they were quick dunks with no harm done.

The rest of the way, we pushed hard with Jen and Jeff leading the charge. It was a long wet climb and we heard one thunder rumble. When I got to North Twin, Jeff was waiting there and he said that Jen had gone ahead to try to meet up w/Giggy's crew. I pushed on and soon Jeff decided he was tired of his centry post and he and Chester raced ahead of me like I was standing still!

When I got to South Twin, Jen said that there was no sign of the other group but we figured they would have been there a while ago and that they were prolly tryin' to beat potential weather.

When the rest of our group got up there, we evaluated the plan. Some folks were concerned about earlier reports of a 2pm T-storm, others of us had heard that it was supposed to clear up and felt confortable with the cool misty conditions. So, with that said, Arm, Mtnpa and Al decided to head back while Jen, Jeff, Abster, and I decided to push on.

We got to Guyot in no time and shortly after that to the West Bond spur. Abster and Jenn had the "been there, done that" philosophy while Jeff and I couldn't resist dropping our packs and heading out there. I was sure that we wouldn't see anything but I was wrong. Although Jeff raced past me (out and back), I was able to see things clear enough to get views of Bond and the ridge out to Bondcliff. I was sorry that I left my camera w/my pack. :(

Back at the spur junction, we continued on and I got some decent pics from Bond. Coming down Bond, my knee started acting up so I took my speed down a notch and took more pics. Things were clearing! By the time we got to Bondcliff, things were hazy but we could see a good deal. The soup of earlier in the day was gone.

The way down and out was fast and uneventful. On the Bondcliff trail, there is a lot of new drainage. Good trail work has been done. It was a good day out and a great night pack at the campsite with the whole gang together at the end of the day. Tanks fer grillin' Arm!! :D Good time fer sur!

Hopefully I post pics soon. For now, I'm running out the door for another adventure...

other group was nh mt hiker, cruddy toes and and myself.
we got a nice early start about 6:45am.

I never been on the amazing peak of galehead, so took the galehead direct from hut while NH and Cruddy waited at hut. frost trail is great for a trail run! summited to a pile of rocks and trees thinking this is a mountain???? :p ;), took a wee wee and then headed back to hut.

hit some minor rain up the south twin slog and was actually quite dry after that. the views opened up while we were on bondcliff, ran in to hiker ed on bond, sun poked out on way down the bondcliff trail.

eaten alive once on the wilderness trail in the 2 minutes it took us to toss some bug dope on.

chugged my first beer by 3:40pm. :D Cruddy beat us by an hour :eek: :D :eek:

nice hike and great company :D

oh and by the way, the official name for this hike was "bondage with the twins and a little head tossed in"

wet night at camp - but who cares, most of us lubed up with spirits....

thanks for arm getting site, setting up site and cooking..music, etc...

Last edited:
Wish I could have joined you guys ... but I was too busy kicking b*tts :eek:

Who's next ? I'm getting out the stilettos !!

Reactions: arm
Sounds like this big group had a great time. My short day out there, just on North Twin, was nice. Gig and I got an after midday start since I'd spent the morning working. We saw the VFFT and ROT cars in the lot and wondered who else was out. It was fun running into Arm, Mtnpa, and Al on their way down. Would have liked to have seen Abster and Doublebow again, and to have Gig and Giggy meet. :p Bicknell's Thrush sang atop around 3:30. (A highlight since it's the first I've heard this year.) I can attest to those clearing skies. Hope to join some of you another time.

I had a great time hooking up with you guys for the day. Let's do it again sometime. Hopefully I can work it out so I can camp out and enjoy the festivities next time.
Jeff