Two Weeks In August.....any suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkpooh

Reaction score
This is the first year I have worked at a job where I have a 2 week vacation :p . Unfortunately, I cannot break them up into my usual 3-5 day weekend hiking trips. Normally, we head up to the Daks and take on a peak, or head out on a trail looking for a few days of solitude or do a little canoeing. Given the amount of time we are looking at, I am not even sure where to begin planning. I've gone over a few trail books, while there are endless possibilites, nothing sticks out.
I am hoping for some suggestions, what would you do with 2 weeks?

Thanks for your time!

depends...

... on how much money you can spend, and what you want to do, and the shape you're in.

I could see spending a week in Salida, CO at the Woodland motel and driving around getting 14ers. Save a few bucks by camping.

or a week backpacking in the Montana beartooths followed by a trip to Glacier

or I could see a two week blitz backpack to hike the long trail end to end.

or 3+ peaks a day could allow you to complete the 46 dacks...boy then you would need a vacation from your vacation. :)

Going north is much closer than going west if you are driving. Gros Morne would be a great choice, and with the ferries and the driving, would take 9-10 days minimum to do the traverse, and there would be plenty of things to do along the way for a few days.

Isle Royale would only be a long day's drive away or so, plus the ferry or float plane, and could handle a week to 10 day trip nicely. You could stop at Pukasaw National Park or Lake Superior Provincial Park along the way (although the coastal trails in either are well worth a week or more too; I have done the LSPP trail). Lake Superior is about as wild and beautiful as it gets.

Last edited:
Northville-Placid trail. Spend a few extra days at Long Lake, maybe with a canoe. I can not recomend this trip enough

Driving in to work, and thinking about going west. Glacier is spectacular, but Aug would be peak tourist season. For a long backpack in Aug, I would look at the wind rivers instead of Glacier (I haven't been there though). The Weminuche along the CDT might just be the nicest high elevation trail in the country, so that would be absolutely fabulous, as long as you can avoid getting fried by lightening during the afternoon. Jasper is also great for long distance backpacking, but I found the horse packing a bit of a bummer, since at times the trails are like deep ruts full of you know what. I haven't been to the Sierras, but that might be as pretty as the Weminuche.

If I had two weeks and wanted to stay in the Adirondacks I would think about the Northville-Placid trail.

If I had to plan it today, w/2 weeks, I'd pack my day hiking + car camping gear, kayak, and both (mtn. + road) bikes into my pickup, head south (about 45 min. from my house) to LI sound and drive up the coast to Maine, at least to Acadia, then head back thru the highlands. My wife would be justifiably worried about me returning.