Ultra light sleeping pad recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Heya all. I want to replace this thermarest sleeping pad I have. It's an old 3/4 length 1" thick pad that weighs about 25oz. It looks like there are much better pads out now. I also have some money left on this REI gift card to use up. The main factor I'm looking for is lightness. Does anyone have an suggestions?

This Big Agnes Air Core Pad - 3/4-Length pad looks good. I wonder about the durability though. It's thicker and lighter than most other pads so maybe the material is very weak?
http://www.rei.com/product/47780425.htm?

Edit:
Here are some more pads which look good. I tend to sleep on my side a lot though so maybe they are too small and not thick enough:
http://www.rei.com/product/47880769.htm?
http://www.rei.com/product/47784027.htm?
http://www.rei.com/product/47784023.htm?

Last edited:
Weighty matter

Hey,

Well everyone's definition of 'ultralight' is a little different.

For summer backpacking, in my opinion, a 25 oz pad is an anchor. And 19 oz or even 13 oz is not that great either.

You owe it to yourself to at least try a lightweight, inexpensive pad like the
Ridge Rest, which I use. It weighs 9 oz, cost $17 or less, and is 4 feet long. Put your empty pack under your footbag to sleep if you like. Go lie on one in the store. Mine finds use in winter as well in my day pack (emergency gear) and as one of two for cold ground winter sleeping. This approach is by no means radical ultralight.

Hey, I used to carry a 1 lb inflatable Thermarest too, but I'm not going back anytime soon. But I even ski with my 'ultralight' treking poles, so what do I know.

Last edited:
Though I have plenty of friends, including Tramer Al who swear by the Ridgerests, I prefer my inflatable for an extra few ounces because on the foam pads, my hips get very sore. I do use a foam pad under my inflatable in the winter and that works wonders.

sli74

A comment on the self-inflating pads--the lighter ones have cutouts in the foam to save weight. Also reduces the insulation. For instance, I found a Prolite 4 to be inadequate (by a small amount--was only cool, not cold) in a shelter at 5F.

I use a full length self-inflater in summer and a full or 3/4 length self-inflater plus closed cell foam in winter.

Doug

I'm only going to use this pad in the summer. I have a closed cell foam pad for the winter. When it's really warm in the summer I use my hammock.

Goose - sounds like you and i think alike. I replaced my T-rest CampLite (or was it GuideLite) 3/4 (the 25 inch wide model) with a BA Air-Core 3/4. [Tho is till have the T-Rest in the closet.] The BA is waaaay MORE comfortable and weighs 16 oz vs. the 30 some odd oz of the T-Rest.

I've only used the BA twice so i can't give a first-hand opinion as to durability, but i will say a few things about that. First, the 3/4 is made out of the old red-ish 70 denier stuff (vs 40 D for the newer gray-ish ones). Second, i researched it before buying and found NO durability compaints. Third, it sure looks and feels tough.

Finally, because i have a BA "bottom-less" bag and i found the air-core doesn't really fit the sleeve (even tho it's made to), i always carry a custom cut mummy Pack-Lite foam pad to put in the sleeve (about 6 oz) then i put bag and foam pad on top of air core. Thus, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the air-core falied on me.

Hope this helps ya! :D :D :D

ps - i got a Ridgerest i'll GIVE away. cant stand thsoe things! the ridges = ouch! i can sleep on a smooth closed cell foam pad, but not a Ridgerest!!!

Last edited:
Hey Gris I need a ridge rest to cut into butt pads for the trail, if you really want to get rid of one let me know. Mike

Gris:

Ooh a firsthand account of the BA! Is it easy to stay on the BA or do you slide off easily? I roll around a lot in my sleep so sliding is sometimes a problem on an air mattress. How small does it roll up to?

Easy to stay on! Packs up super small and flat! I'm a side sleeper too, hence the reason why i don't put he BA in my bag sleeve. Also doubles as a float! ONLY downside (IHMO) is it takes about 20 deep breaths to blow up! :D :D :D

Sounds good, and it's one of the cheaper pads too. I'm going to order one. Thanks for the info everyone.

I just got my pad today. This pad is nice! It's lighter and smaller than my current thermarest pad AND over twice as thick. It's easier to pack up to since I don't have to fight to squeeze the air out. This is going to make hiking this summer much nicer, assuming I ever make the time to go...

Hey Goose - you won't regret that purchase trust me! How many breaths did it take ya to go from flat to full plush? (the ONLY downside IMO - wouldn't wanna take it to 10,000 ft!!!) :eek:

:D :D :D

It took me a while to fill it up all the way, but I think it's more comfortable only half inflated.