Umbagog or Flagstaff Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I want to spend a few days kayak camping with the main purpose of pro wildlife photography mid-week in Septmember . . . motorboats should be winding down. I know moose, loon, eagles, and osprey are possible at both. Camping free at Flagstaff, Umbagog via reservations. Wind and whitecaps a possible hazard at both. I'm wondering if wildlife opps are stronger at one vs the other, safe overnight parking, etc. Has anyone been to both and can comment?

I've camped at both, though there are large sections of Flagstaff that I haven't seen yet. I've had excellent luck at Umbagog with wildlife viewing so I tend to favor that the most.

I find that Umbagog tends to get more traffic than Flagstaff especially later in the year when Flagstaff is shallower due to hydro releases. The "upper bay" of Flagstaff get almost no traffic, although be careful as the western access to the bay doesnt exist (the USGS map must have been drawn on a very high water year).I have seen similiar amounts of wildlife at either lake. I have seen a family of otters on Flagstaff and have yet to see on on Umbagog.

Heck line it up with the gathering weekend and extend the trip.

I find that Umbagog tends to get more traffic than Flagstaff especially later in the year when Flagstaff is shallower due to hydro releases. The "upper bay" of Flagstaff get almost no traffic, although be careful as the western access to the bay doesnt exist (the USGS map must have been drawn on a very high water year).I have seen similiar amounts of wildlife at either lake. I have seen a family of otters on Flagstaff and have yet to see on on Umbagog.

Heck line it up with the gathering weekend and extend the trip.

Peakbagger, if you are from Gorham, you probabaly visit small Pontook R. for its great wildlife as well?