Under Armour

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience wearing UNDER ARMOUR as a base layer during a winter ADK hike?

armour

Has anyone had experience wearing UNDER ARMOUR as a base layer during a winter ADK hike?

as opposed to "armour all"? doesn't the metal get cold agains your skin? :eek:

I used Under Armour last year during the January Gathering in the Adirondacks for three days where the temperature hit –30°. For many years I have used North Face expedition weight long sleeve T’s (I was told are made under contract by Patagonia) which wicked away moisture and has an odor-blocker built in (big plus on long trips). I thought the Under Armour were acceptable, but not a replacement for my TNF products. I did not like the form fit and I felt the moisture was not wicked away as well. For winter use I will stay away from Under Armour.

I used an Under Armour t shirt on a summer hike this year, and was dissapointed. It doesn't wick nearly as well as a polypro shirt. It's more like a cotton shirt. The shirt I have is 79% polyester and 21% spandex, and I would not consider one like this for a winter hike.

Had to take mine off

I like my under armour shirt year round. When I'm done sweating like a pig in summer at night in the shelter or tent I get cold easily. My under armour keeps me toasty but not stifled. I stopped and took mine off last week as I was sweating like a pig in winter and knew it was the right layer to remove. I think its very versatile and holds up extremely well. My 4 year old shirt still looks like brand new.

PJ

i know it's overpriced (but what outdoor gear isn't?), but i'm a fan. makes me feel like brett favre (or better, ricky williams) when i'm hikin'. i like the form fitting--especially for apre-hike drinks with the ladies. ;) :)

no kiddin' though, the coldgear is pretty good.

Ua

I have the UA pants and love them. I use a Nike Dri-fit shirt which is the same thing as Under Armour and I must say that there are better fabrics for wicking moisture.

I have three shirts and wear one of them almost everyday, the are ideal for wearing under your hockey stuff for you skater out there that is why I have them...they fit great and keep me cool and dry. But I must agree, Patagonia and the rest make better winter hiking undershirts.