Union Leader has two stories on line that lack accuracy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug - you keep using the word spot. In a story about finding lost hikers perhaps another word would be less confusing. Of course, we know you would always capitalize Spot when you meant that kind of spotting device. :)
The difference should be clear from context. And the name of the device appears to be properly written as "SPOT". http://www.findmespot.com/en/

If it helps you, I neither own nor carry a SPOT (locator device).

Doug

There is a spot on the Thoreau Falls Trail (heading N along the river) where the trail enters a large open section. The first time I skied the lollipop route (2002), I wasted some time looking for the trail before I realized that the trail would be easy to find on the far side due to terrain restrictions. On the 2011 repeat with Becca, I recognized the spot and we headed directly over to the far side. (There were no tracks to follow either time. And, of course, one cannot always tell if the tracks go where one wants...)

There was another spot on the Shoal Pond Trail where the trail appeared to go through a large open area. After scratching our heads for a bit, we consulted the GPS (with the WMNF tracks installed) which said that it was below a cliff off to the side. We looked and could see a faint corridor down below. There was no clue as to where the trail dropped down and it took us quite a while to find a route. Without the GPS, we probably would have had to turn back. (I have talked to someone else about this spot--he got "confused" too...)

You don't need to be on the trail all the time--you just need to know that you can find it (and get to it) when you need it.

Doug

We had actually planned to XC ski those trails last year, but we ultimately decided that we wanted to hike them first. I can definitely see having issues following the trail in winter along the river. The nice part is that the trail follows the river pretty tightly the entire time, so that helps a lot and I would definitely like to ski it (N-S though!). The Shoal Pond trail is definitely less defined, and the area you speak of didn't stand out (albeit I was going S-N there). The only thing I remember being anything like a cliff was right at one of the stream crossings, but without the busted bog bridges to follow, I can see that trail being much more difficult (especially with all the blowdowns)!

I definitely take the approach that going off trail isn't bad, it's not being able to find it that can be a problem. :)

We had actually planned to XC ski those trails last year, but we ultimately decided that we wanted to hike them first. I can definitely see having issues following the trail in winter along the river. The nice part is that the trail follows the river pretty tightly the entire time, so that helps a lot and I would definitely like to ski it (N-S though!). The Shoal Pond trail is definitely less defined, and the area you speak of didn't stand out (albeit I was going S-N there). The only thing I remember being anything like a cliff was right at one of the stream crossings, but without the busted bog bridges to follow, I can see that trail being much more difficult (especially with all the blowdowns)!
We did it clockwise so we did the TFT S-N and the SPT N-S. I would rather do the TFT S-N because I would rather climb the steep section paralleling Thoreau Falls rather than attempt to descend it on skis.

I think the open area on the TFT was around 44deg 09.400min N, 71deg 29.366min W (WGS84) or ~.7mi N of the point where Jumping Brook comes in from the other side. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.15527,-71.49008&z=15&t=T (The crosshairs mark the spot.) We also had problems just before the crossing of the North Fork of the East Branch at the top of Thoreau Falls (open woods and deep snowpack).

And the spot where the trail drops down the cliff on the SPT was at 44deg 07.000min N, 71deg 28.240min W (WGS84), about .1 mi S of the crossing of the Carrigain Branch. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.11659,-71.47047&z=15&t=T (Note: the trail is shown on the wrong side of the river.) We also had problems just after crossing the East Branch (impenetrable blowdown and grown in trail).

Perhaps, I should add that it was night (except for the first spot) and there was 2-4 ft of snow on the ground. There were spots where the easiest method of navigation was to follow the moose tracks--they knew where the trail was. :)

Doug

Last edited:
I would also like to see glass-bead paint (road sign paint) used for blazes to aid night navigation. (But they don't listen to me on this either...)

Doug

Agreed - that would be a super-helpful. The reflective discs used for the NPT in the ADK, for example, make night travel much easier and safer.

Agreed - that would be a super-helpful. The reflective discs used for the NPT in the ADK, for example, make night travel much easier and safer.
Reflective disks would do the job too and probably outlast the paint.

I have noticed some (road-sign style) signs and a reflector in the woods along the Lincoln Woods trail while skiing out at night. I have never noticed them during the day, but they sure jump out at you at night by the light of your headlamp.

Doug

Over here in the ADKs we've actually got some folks campaigning to reduce the size and visibility of highway signs (based on some kind of rationale about the highway having to meet wilderness standards). I guess there are some in every state...

Over here in the ADKs we've actually got some folks campaigning to reduce the size and visibility of highway signs (based on some kind of rationale about the highway having to meet wilderness standards). I guess there are some in every state...

Happy New Year TCD. Aren't there some groups that need volunteers that those folks can help out. Reducing size of the signs along the highway, way too much time on their hands.

And a happy new year to you, as well!