Vancouver BC Area Hiking recomendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
I may be taking a trip to Vancouver this summer. Has anyone done any hiking there? I looking for some recomendations on bagging some peaks while I'm in the area.

Thanks,

Be sure to visit Grouse Mountain. Unfortunately, they have the "winter website" up and I can't locate the hiking map, but it's not a difficult mountain. The tram runs all summer, but unlike Cannon's tram, Grouse's runs well into the evening with dining up top. Nothing beats watching the sunset over the Pacific from up on Grouse.

If you have the time, Vancouver Island offers some unique experiences, including the (notoriously) challenging West Coast Trail.
Strathcona Provincial Park is more accessible, but plenty rugged and remote in parts, and the only place I've met a black bear that I couldn't push off a trail. :eek:
You can swim in the ocean on the east side of the island in the summer, e.g., at the terrific Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park. Only orcas and humpbacks have the wherewithal to swim on the west side . . .

I think it was our own Mavs00 who had a nice article recently in the 46er magazine "Adirondack Peeks" about hiking in Whistler. Whistler is about 2 hours from Vancouver, and very beautiful. There are nearby "wild" mountains, plus the ski area has many lift served hiking opportunities and a great village at the base, depending on what you are looking for.

Thanks for all the great pointers everyone!

I have a nephew who lives in Vancouver that was telling me about the Grouse Grind. He used it to test girl friends to see if they were fit enough for him :cool:

I'm pretty sure he is going to want to "test" me on that hill. I "tested" him back in 2008 when he visited and I dragged him up Mt Washington for my NH48 finish.

Make us old farts proud. Train up, and crush the young guy! There's no feeling like waiting at the top for the 30 years younger guy, and then yelling at him: "Now you're running with the big dogs!" when he comes dragging up. (You will, of course, have to buy the beer later.)