Vasque Hiking Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charlos said:
i have the sundowner mx2's and really like them though i have incurred a problem

the gore tex layer now hangs loose like a sock inside the boot, most likely due to the putting in and taking out of my orthotics( which hasnt happend with my lowa klondike light hikers).

i called vasque to no avail and tent & trails wasnt helpfull either.since then i have had soggy foot problems in wet & snowy conditions despite repeated treatments with nikwax.

anyone else have this problem or are anomylous gear malfunctions my specialty? :D

The same thing happens to me and my Danners. I still use Sno-Seal on my leather boots, regardless of gortex. I bake the boots at 150 degrees for about 5 minutes, apply sno-seal, re-bake and re-apply. No problems.

My first real hiking boots were Vasque Whitney II's bought around 1973 at the original EMS in Ardsley.
I applied sno-seal in this manner religiously, looked into having the boots re-soled once or twice, I'd probably still be wearing them except they finally developed a mold infestation after a prolonged storage in a damp basement. :(

Last edited:
tonycc said:
I have used Nikwax, but my all time favorite is plain old Mink Oil.
Mink Oil is frequently disrecommended because it softens leather too much. I also vaguely remember a comment somewhere that it causes leather to retain water and rot.

Have never used it on boots myself--Sno-Seal works adequately for me.

Doug