Verendrye Reserve, Cabonga Resivoir

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
...oops misspelled reservoir...

In late August 2010 my friend Philippe and I went up into a remote region of Quebec to some of the finest paddling I have ever known. A beautiful 2 week trip. A land of many Loons... tracks of bear and wolf to highlight our days.

It's a bit long of a report (with pictures)

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=223290

We used the spot rescue device to send our daily ok messages.

We also used it to keep a track log, all in all we did 225 km...135 miles
so far the map only is showing the 2nd week of travel, but I hope to tune that up a little. Basically we traveled a counterclockwise direction after the 3rd day.

Last edited:
Great adventure and great report! That SPOT system is a good platform for reports, eh.

What is the direction of the prevailing winds and what was the typical range of temperatures? Would the water levels typically be higher a little earlier in the summer and what do you think would be the optimum time for most water and least mosquitos?

Enjoyed watching your progress on the SPOT reports but this beats all. Can real time transmission of your journal and photos be far behind?

thanks...more pics

Thanks we hit a great window of good weather from Sept 19-30.
The huge surprise for us was..no bugs !!
I 'm not sure when they fade away but we were mighty glad about that. We had both come equipped with head nets thinking we were going to get swarmed.

The water was at a ten year low and maybe again 8 years before that. Hydro Quebec rules the roost in much of northern Quebec...but they can't bring water down from the heavens as much as they might want to.
I think the trade off is more water in July but for the insects I'm not so sure.

Winds were much like down here good wind from the north/nw rain from the south

Navigation was interesting...since we were north of mountains there were no definitive land marks on the horizon so we needed to pay close attention as to our location by map and compass.

Here's some more pics ...it's a beautiful place !
http://picasaweb.google.com/102620973214188005944/CabongaPicss#slideshow/5512844077326474162

Last edited: