Vermont 4k's- Can I do Killington, Abraham, Ellen, and Camel's Hump in a weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbeard56

Reaction score
I am going to Vt, on September 9.10. and 11th. Only two days of hiking though. I believe we can do Killington on Friday afternoon, Abraham and Ellen on Saturday, and Camels Hump on Sunday before we come home???? Is that reasonable? I forget.......Have been there, done this, but too long ago to really remember.....

Suggestions????? Thanks
"Munchkin"

Vt

very reasonable...I have not done Killington, but it is a day hike...Ellen and Abraham are a bit long, but not tough. Camel's Hump rocks...it is around 7 miles RT...I think I did in about 4-5 hours (I am not that fast) on a very humid day.

fbeard56 said:
I am going to Vt, on September 9.10. and 11th. Only two days of hiking though. I believe we can do Killington on Friday afternoon, Abraham and Ellen on Saturday, and Camels Hump on Sunday before we come home???? Is that reasonable? I forget.......Have been there, done this, but too long ago to really remember.....

Suggestions????? Thanks
"Munchkin"

very reasonable to do what you've got planned. It is not unheard(though its a long, tough day) of to actually do Camel's Hump with Ellen/Abraham, so doing three dayhikes is more than enough time, if you are interested in the NEHH list, maybe even throw in Pico with Killington, though its a longer(15 miles) day.

Before you go...

Before you go...

1. Arrange a car-drop or pick up for the Lincoln Gap-to-Appalachian gap ridge run of Ellen and Abe. (or alternately descend the ski slopes of Ellen/Sugar Bush)

2. Research how to find the Camel's Hump trail head from the East. Was a poorly signed dirt road rallye when I did the Hump.

3. Locate the Wheelerville road trailhead for Killington and make sure the road is open from both ends (bridge const there last year). Alternately you can jog up the work road from the base lodge.

cb

Last edited:
killington

climb killington via the work road.up and down easily 2hrs 30 min.climb pico via work road.great views up and down.2hrs easily.start early then go climb the hump...

Don't see why not. I did the upper four in a weekend with plenty of time left over for Killington but had done it earlier in the year.

Twice I've been passed by people doing ALL FIVE that same day. The key is two cars, partners for a key hand-off between Abe and Ellen, and a serious set of legs. As for the four in three days... No problem, just stay good and hydrated to keep all your joints well lubed. Eat a good mix of some protein and sugars (1:4 ratio) after your last hike of the day to help muscle recovery. That practice does wonders!

So is anyone up for doing all 5 during the Gathering weekend? Friday, Saturday and Sunday should give us enough time, if I understand you all correctly. Even a relatively slow uphiller like me! :rolleyes:

Without two cars

Many suggest two cars, however I didn't find it much of a hike using a single car. I startyed in Lincoln Gap, headed up and along the ridge and back. I'd rate that as a somewhat easy hike. I started early, and was finished before lunch. I suppose a second car would ahve made it a REAL easy hike, but it is by no means necesssary.