VFTT Community Lens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
I read POTN, a Canon camera users website. They have a thread on there (actually two threads) where people sign up on a list and they mail a "nifty fifty" (Canon 50mm f1.8, $75 at B&H brand new) to the people on the list. They then get the lens, use it for a few days or a week, post the pix they take with it in the thread, and then mail it to the next person on the list. I love the concept.

I was toying with the idea of mailing my nifty fifty around to VFTT members. (I believe most (D)SLR users here use Canon bodies.) But then I took out my 12 year old nifty fifty and started using it again and was reminded of how sweet a lens it is. Now I am having too much fun with it to part with it. :rolleyes:

So then I thought that I could ship out my old 28-80mm or 75-300mm and see what the VFTT users can produce with a cheap zoom. I talked to BillK and was going to put him on the top of the list since he is our newest member of the SLR family. Bill suggested that instead of shipping one of my lenses around (I'm guessing a cheap zoom might not survive too many shipments) that some people here might want to pitch in and buy a used lens or that maybe someone here really has a disposable lens that they wouldn't mind if it gave up the ghost.

The thing with the nifty fifty is that for $75 the image quality is stellar. But, like I said, it could be cool to see what VFTT members can do with a "cheap" zoom.

I really like the idea of seeing how each of us uses the same lens differently. We all have different eyes and it will be cool to see how we use the same tool in different ways.

What do people think? Is Canon in the majority like I think it is? Open for suggestions and ideas.

- darren

Nifty-fifty???

Doesn't this belong on a motorcycle forum? (Just dating myself.)

I have a few Canon lenses that I'm not using. Right now I don't have them here but will check them out this weekend and post back. I'd be happy to share these with anyone who's interested.

teejay

forestgnome said:
Darren,

It is an interesting idea. I also use Canon. I assume we're talking about EOS lenses?

Yes, it would be a Canon EOS (EF) lens. Since nearly 70% of the respondants to my camera brand poll use Canon dslr's it looks like it would be the way to go.

I'd really like to do this with a nifty-fifty just because it is such a cool little lens, but we can use something else.

teejay - are those Canon lenses EF or are they the old FD mount?

- darren

Canon lenses

The Canon lenses were with a Canon EOS SLR that was my Dad's. Everything is probably mid to later 80's vintage. I don't know what you mean by EF or FD, but I'd guess the mount is current. If EF means auto-focus, one of the zooms (28-150??) and the 50mm are and the other tele is manual. I'll try to get the model numbers this weekend and let you know.

As far as a "Nifty-Fifty", besides being a Canon lens, what was the original "Nifty-Fifty?" Millions were sold. Probably as many or more than the lenses.

teejay

I've got an "old" (like a year or two) Canon lens I never use, but probably most people reading this have the same one: the "kit" lens (18-50?). Might be more fun to use a lens that's a little unusual in some way instead, if we can find one.

nartreb said:
Might be more fun to use a lens that's a little unusual in some way instead, if we can find one.

I agree totally. I like the idea of using a prime lens. Working under the constraints of a fixed focal length forces me to be a little more creative and put a little more thought into my composition.

- Bill

Last edited:
Jumped into this converstion late as I've been moving, but I shoot canon eos, and I love the idea. Lemme know where to sign up when we solidify the plans...

Canon lenses

The camera body I have was purchased in 1989. It was made in Japan.

The lenses are all EF mount and made in Japan by Canon. They are:

1. 28-70mm, 1:3.5-4.5, macro-infinity, auto and manual focus. UC0605.

2. 28-70mm, 1:3.5-4.5, manual focus only. UC0905.

3. 70-210mm, 1:4, macro-infinity and 1.5m-infinity autofocus, and manual focus. UB0700.

A little Google search suggests that the UB and UC numbers are year/date codes, (1987 and 1988??). They're printed on the mount end of the lenses. There's not much more I can tell you about them.

Edit: I'll try to remember to bring these to the barbeque if anyone wants to try them out.

teejay

Last edited:
Does the 70-210 f4 say L on it or have a red ring around the front of it?

Uhhhhhhhh.....how about you just send it to me now???

:D :D :D :D :D

- darren

ps: PLEASE :D