Vt 5 4000'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At Killington, the ski area's 'official' hiking trail to the summit goes thru the woods. While it crosses ski trails a few times, there is no need to ascend solely via ski trails. Well, maybe the last 100 yards as everything converges at the gondola top.

When we did Killington (summer), we left the K-1 Lodge and started in the woods, but eventually chose a ski trail (Ovation) to the top of Skye Peak, and then followed Bear Trax trail up the ridge to the summit gondola station. Great open views on a glorious day. Ovation is a Double-D, so elevation came rather quickly. Lastly up the stairs at the back side of the gondola top, and a quick zip across the top to the actual summit rock outcrop (< 5 min from gondola top).

In summer, there were lots of mt bikers blasting down that ridge trail.

http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/trail_map/2010-11map.pdf

Hiking map at:

http://www.killington.com/summer/the_mountain/maps/hiking

Last edited:
At Killington, the ski area's 'official' hiking trail to the summit goes thru the woods. While it crosses ski trails a few times, there is no need to ascend solely via ski trails. Well, maybe the last 100 yards as everything converges at the gondola top.

When we did Killington (summer), we left the K-1 Lodge and started in the woods, but eventually chose a ski trail (Ovation) to the top of Skye Peak, and then followed Bear Trax trail up the ridge to the summit gondola station. Great open views on a glorious day. Ovation is a Double-D, so elevation came rather quickly. Lastly up the stairs at the back side of the gondola top, and a quick zip across the top to the actual summit rock outcrop (< 5 min from gondola top).

In summer, there were lots of mt bikers blasting down that ridge trail.

http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/trail_map/2010-11map.pdf

Hiking map at:

http://www.killington.com/summer/the_mountain/maps/hiking
I looked at both of those maps, but I do not see any hiking trails.

:confused:

Side note for anyone else who does look at that map ... the two ends of East Mountain Road do not connect in winter. It's also the only map I've ever seen to show a thrust fault going through the area.

The one labled 'E' cuts thru the woods, and not on ski trails - except for last 100 yds or so.

I'm gonna go for these peaks via gu and skins. I'm trying to rope a buddy of mine into joining me, is there anyone out there that would want to join me/us?? I'll drive. As far as Sugarbush north/south I'm just going to have a taxi lined up. That's what I did for the rando race from MRG-Sugarbush.
I live in Arlington VT about an hour south of Killington. I plan on hitting this one first in the wee hours of the morning via headlamp.
I'm thinking the last week of this month or the first couple weeks of March. It will have to be on Tuesday.

Vetmont 4's

Agree with pretty much all the above, and Kevin, righto I've been up the Hump a few times!
FWIW, I also vote for Sunset Ridge for Mansfield, a great hike, drive up the road as far as you can though right now, there's likely a snowbank about 1.5 miles or so below the campground, which is a short mile below the Sunset Ridge trailhead on the CCC road. Camels Hump, either Burroughs or Monroe are fine routes, though Monroe is my favorite, open woods for the lower half and mostly pretty gentle, a really nice hike in winter. Burroughs is gentle for the first half, then pretty steep and rocks (ice). For Ellen and Abe, if you can spot a car, I vote for Lincoln Gap (as far as you can drive from either direction, not a big deal to walk up to the gap), do Abe, then Ellen, then down the ski slopes. Caution is that the snow, and the route, from Abe to Ellen, especially north of Lincoln Peak (Sugarbush), can be pretty tough if not broken out. Jerusalem Trail also good, esp. for an out-and-back, but same caution north of Lincoln Peak. Killington, Bucklin is a nice route, a tough slog if not broken out, but chances are it will be if no recent dump, and no problem getting to the Bucklin trailhead. I did the five Vt. 4's in a day a few years ago, N to S, but that was in summer, a huge difference. It all depends on whether the trail has been broken, especially if you're doing a one-day, but then, you know that, eh? Good luck with it!
John

Righto, it's Burrows. For some reason, even though it's in my "backyard", I seen to have trouble acceptijng that. Thanx for the correction!
John