VVFT Colorado Hike climb bike ect?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
It seems like alot of VFTTers hike or would like to hike and climb in Colorado . I Spend time in both NH and Co, I know the area around Around Aspen and Leadvile very well . I am wondering about a VVFT crew doing some 14 k peaks some hikes and of course fun . I can provide alot of info and help with travel plans if needed . . I think it would be really cool to do . Just hanging out hiking and enjoying a realy great place .
What do you think not to mention climbing 14 k peaks easy - deadly
I can get sites or lodgeing ne in the area near RT 82 or help with it.
it is like a huge national park !

Last edited:
I've been trying to decide what my next hiking/climing trip will be. I would love to climb some of the 14'ers in Colorado. If a bunch of VFTT folks go out, I would be interested in joining! I'd like to do a mix of some of the biggest, like Mount Elbert and Massive and a harder peak like Pyramid. Then again, I'd be up for any of them. Just to go climbing in Colorado would be a blast!

Hey man, keep me posted, great thread and thanks for offering to assist us VFTT'ers. :) I was considering planning a trip for July 2006 to the 14'ers. I have Gerry Roach's books and maps on the 14'ers, and have been looking at routes and all since last Summer. My plan was to start out with a 12K or 13K peak, rest, then move up to Grey and Torrey peaks, Bierstadt and Evans or Democrat, Lincoln and Bross. But those plans are tentative, subject to revision of course. Allot depends on acclimatization to the altitude, where I start, the weather and available time off to train.

Amstony, Those are nice "easy " peaks . Mt Evans has a road to nearly the Summit so If you ae in that area yopu can drive up and spned some time at 14 k there is a lake below the Summit and lots of very hungry and friendly MT Goats. who will steall you food. At least the ones on the peaks you mention do.
Of course every one has a differnt opinion about the six Main Ranges in Colorado. I am Partail to the Elks and the peaks near Leadville though the San Juans are amazing also .
A nice and easy to get and hike peak is mt Elbert . Cos. highest.
There are smoe very pleasant cabins and A BandB at one of the trrailheads. and about 4 miles from LaPlata Peaks trail head. La Plata isa very scenic hike.
Thre aea good number of USFS Campgruonds on RT 82 aslo
I can give a good list of places to stay at either reasonble rates very very expansive. . As well as some good places to get a great meal that are not as busy as some places.
I would love ot have a small gruop back pack to Conundrum Hot springs out side of Aspen. You can Climb 2 14 k peaks from there on a much less travled route and I think the Springs have the best acomadatins in the Aspen area . they are a easy 9 mile hike with some deep creek crossings,
But well worth it.

I have to
some more photos to my webshots album .
If any one is haded there soon feel fre to shoot me a email . I might be able ot hep you find accomadtions, a great place to hike or climb and eat .

I just broke down and booked a flight to Colorado last night.
August 25-30th.
Probably going to base out of Alma and do day hikes.
It would be nice to do some 14ker's, however, I don't think I've been above 9K

should be interesting.

Steve

Way to go, Steve-O!

Have a blast! Remember, hike high, sleep low.

Just like to say that this is one awesome community! So great that ya'all plan adventures together.

I'll be heading out to Co in late May 2006, plan is to walk the Colorado Trail, not in its entirety, but perhaps three weeks of it.

una_dogger said:
Have a blast! Remember, hike high, sleep low.

Just like to say that this is one awesome community! So great that ya'all plan adventures together.

I'll be heading out to Co in late May 2006, plan is to walk the Colorado Trail, not in its entirety, but perhaps three weeks of it.

You might want to plan your trip later in the spring espcially if ther is a heavy snow years as this past winter was. In late june early Jully there was still over 4 feet of snow above about 11,000 ft in many places. This snow is tough to travel on as it gets very soft early in the day and you end up post holing sometimes on some very steep slopes . It also makes route Finding more difficult . to begin with trh trtails are not as heavily marked and signed as they are here in the NE soem are hard to find even in the summer and some areas are hard to get to even with snow shoes. Stream crossing are often deadly due to the melting . There is also a danger of snow bridges colapsing on you this happens alot with snow bridges over creeks.
In Late may you will prbably find snow at or near 10,000ft and very deep snowabove that with avalanche danger.
High passes are often uncrossable due to Cornices some fall and have caused serious injury or death.
Many roads to trailheads are not cleard and are 4x4 rods . making your hike even longer.
Besides the wild flowers and plants do not come out untill late June and July.

I will be hiking in CO Aug 12-18. I am so looking fwd to it! I plan to hike Quandary, Pikes Peak, Capitol, Grays/Torreys, and Longs Peak. I have previously climbed 5 14ers in the previous two years. It is helpful even to spend some time in Denver-Co Sprs or some other area around a mile above sea level. I will spend 3 days and 4 nights in CO sprs before I get to the hiking! I hope I acclimatize well--have not had any problems before. Capitol Peak(Class 4) will be my biggest challenge. I look forward to seeing whether I have what it takes on this challenging 14er, but I will also need to exercise good judgment on when turning back is wise. I also plan to raft the Arkansas River for a day while out there.

Dan Capitol is probably one of the most difficult 14ers in CO . I have Climbed it 5 times once was a SAR on the Knife Edge. you will need helemt as there is a lot of rockfall on it regardless of rout. Much of the route is much more exposed than anything in the NE the Knife Edge is about 100 ft or so long at nearly 14,000 ft it is in the do not fall category. The hike there is very nice also are some good camping spots near Capitol Lake @11,600 . If you want spectacular peak with a thrilling ridge not quite as narrow as Capitol but still much more exposed that anything in the NE along with a very scenic and easy hike in Snowmass peak is a great climb and the camping near the lake is great. Though Crossing Snowmass creek can be very dangerous.
If you want to stay in Snowmass I recommend the Wildwood inn, Silver tree inn Snowmass inn or Pokolodi Lodge. . For eats , Zanes taveren a local spot Margaritas ( not the chain) the Hickory House in Aspen the J Bar in Aspen. Jimmy ‘s in Aspen If you are camping you will need reservations on Maroon Creek RD.
If you spend a few nights at 8 - 10 k then do a few hikes to around 12 then try a easy 14er you should be ok one great and easy half day hike to 12 k is Cathedral lake . and very beautiful . also t the Hike ot Crater lake do it in the early Am before 7 and the crowds the views of the Bells and Pyramid rising over 4,000 ft above you is neck bending and awe inspiring . Get a very early start 3 AM I do not recommend the Bells or Pyramid both are extremely dangerous and difficult peaks with tremendous exposure on very loose rotten rock. Buckskin pass has been closed until the debris from a Avalanche is cleared up. Try hiking in from Snowmass the East Snowmass Creek route will get you to Willow pass and short class 2 Scramble takes to Buckskin Benchmark a 13 k peak with amazing views .
Of you need or want more info send me a PM or Email

ALma and Ladville argue over which town is higher 10 k is fine .

Last edited:
Gerry Roach has a super book on the 14'ers. "Hiking Colorado 14'ers" and get the accompanying map guide that you can purchase with it. It has a map of where they are all located in the book. The maps also come on CD.

Also, you can go to www.14ers.com and that has allot of information available. There is a map with general locations on one of the links.

Last edited:
I have Gerry Roach's book and map companion set and also a small green book with the 14ers listed in a short format. They all have maps, some better than others.

I will be in CO hiking Aug 19-22 . . . leaving in a few days . . . YIPPPEEEE !!!

sli74

bobandgeri said:
Any recomendations on where to get a map showing the location of the 14K peaks in Colorado?
Summit post has some good photos and info on routes
http://www.summitpost.org/show/moun...eyword=Key+Word&sort_by=Alphabetical&x=13&y=7

Luis Dawsons 2 books are very good also . Though they include info on both climbing and ski mountianeering .
You can PM me I can send you alot of Info that is not in the guide books
such as places to stay and a good idea of what many of the hikes and or climbs are like.

ADK4Life said:
Are there going to be any real issues I should be concerned about if I climb Longs Peak late September?
If you plan to climb Longs in Setptember, your shouild be concerned about both after noon thunderstroms amd severe winter conditions above 11,000 .
I have seen both on the samne day on a Climb of a Co 14 K peak in late September . usally Snow starts acumlulating around late September - October above 10 - 11k . in CO
Basically think of a 14 k hike in Co in sept as a late october walk up of the Presis in early November. and add in severe thunderstorms that can drop a fast 6 inches of snow with deadly ligthning The 14 K peaks are not 4 k peaks and should be treated with all due repsect to rapidly chaninging weather (faster and more deadly than the NE)
If some one tried to PM me . I did not clean out my PM thinghy it was too full I have a a lot of info I can pass on to you . Please PM again thnanks or if any one is interested feel free to send me a Email just caption it Colorado so it gets past my fire wall

Last edited: