Wal Mart Poles vs the Expensive Stuff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still prefer wooden sticks. I bring one, usually a stick from a beaver dam, and if I need another I can always find one. I don't like the clank-clank sound of a metal pole, just seems unnatural to me.

Skiing or snowshoeing is another matter... though at the moment my only ski/snowshoe poles are an ancient bamboo pair.

Beaver sticks rule. I make hiking sticks out of beaver sticks, not to sell I just give them away, Im an expert on beaver colonies off the Kanc where I get all my sticks.The best sticks are de-barked and underwater, they seem to go through a hardening process in the cold water. My only rule is I take no stick from the dens, I once did and believe me, they do not like it:eek: besides I wouldnt want someone taking part of my house either.:rolleyes:

Leki it is

Well my birthday came and went, I got some Leki trail poles, "triple shock action." We'll see how they are. I'd like to think I can make them last longer than a year....

No walmart poles, but I had the cheapo "La cordée" ones when I first started hiking and they were fine. The expanders failed on mines, that's why I bought some Black Diamonds with flip-locks. Never looked back! I've had them for 4-5 years now.

Fish