Wal Mart Poles vs the Expensive Stuff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're OK with failures while on the trail then go with the cheap $10 poles and get a new pair before the next hike, you'll save lots of money. If it's important that you're pole doesn't collapse when you're leaning hard on them while decending sending you into a downhill faceplant, pay a few extra bucks and get something you can depend on.

I've never had any multi section pole fail to support me under pressure, cheap or not. A few have slipped slightly when I didn't tighten them enough while wearing gloves, but nothing more than that. The failures have always occured when attempting to adjust them (or not being able to adjust them any more). No safety issue that I can see.

I am not very lightweight and put lots of stress on them when going downhill. If I didn't trust them, I'd just go back to the old ski poles. But I do like to be able to shorten them on uphills, and extend them on downhills.

I also have used a pair of Yukon Charlie snow shoes for the last 5+ years and although I've had to replace a few rivets with screws, they are still going strong. I'd MUCH rather not have bought them at Walmart, but I can't afford $200 shoes and really like hiking in winter.

As with most things in life.......

Drum roll please.....................................................

You get what you pay for!!

With the exception of wooden hiking poles found or made on the side of the trail.

I, myself, dislike the option of having a piece of equipment I can't (or won't) trust in the back country.

Hike Free and Hike....Walker

Great thread. Mark, interesting response. I go through at least three pairs of hiking poles a year. Guess I'm fairly rough on them...they bend, snap, lose parts, etc. Doesn't seem to matter what kind I have -- Leki, Walmart, whatever, I kill them quickly.

I haven't tried Shocklights. Sounds like getting a pair through REI is the way to go.

If we were able to hike as often as you we'd probably go through them quicker as well :rolleyes:

The Shocklights are actually just REI re-branded Kommperdels. They actually don't make them anymore. I wanted to hang on to them because I like the particular grips/straps better than the alternatives that REI had at the time. They are twist-lock and I do think that one of the flick-lock type will be our next set. Both can have their problems but the opinion seems to be that the twist-lock are more failure prone (and more difficult to adjust in general).

The nice thing about REI is that their "replacement or money back forever" guarantee applies to everything they sell, not just their brand. If you fall on the poles and break them they will still take them back (although it's up to the individual to decide whether that's really fair - I have only returned things that were actually defective or wore out / failed faster than they reasonably should have). LL Bean used to do this as well but I think even they have changed their policy now.

I swear by BD Flicklocks now, having seen all my Leki/REI/Komperdell poles fail. I do have shorty ultralight Lekis that fit in a small suitcase that go only on western trips, which is why I believe they have lasted.
Many years ago we discovered a huge pile of discarded alpine poles behind the shack at Temple Mt. We picked out the ones that were the right length and used them for a long time until we discovered the benefits of carbide tips, comfortable grips, and summer baskets.

On my gear,
Working for REI I own a few sets of poles. The REI poles are twist lock. If you keep them clean and dry them after each use they last a long time. My BDs are flicklock and are my fave's as well as well as the only poles I'll pay for ever again.

Rant on,

On why I buy what I do (short version),
My own beef with the Wally World or Ocean State poles, and other cheap product, is this. If you get five years out of the high priced ones & one year out of the cheap ones, then how much more impact on the environment are you having by buying five times the manufactured product.

I work for REI and while I enjoy many discounts, it's my full time gig and it's still retail pay, plus the cost of living is the same no matter your job. I don't shop at Wal-mart period. I on rare occasions buy things at Target.

Sorry, rant off,
Joe.

Leki

Leki stands behind their poles. See this thread (or others, search on Leki) for more details. Many of here have dealt with Melanie at Leki for replacement poles/parts/sections.

Tim

I have broken the bottom section of my Leki Ultra Lite poles 3 times in the last 2 years and each time Leki has sent me the bottom and mid sections with a new tip for free with no issues. The last time, about 1 month ago they did suggest that I go to a heavier duty pole, but said they would stand by their warranty and send me the replacement sections. Even though I'm not happy with these $120 poles bending, as long as they keep sending replacement parts I'll keep using them. :rolleyes:

If you get five years out of the high priced ones & one year out of the cheap ones, then how much more impact on the environment are you having by buying five times the manufactured product.

Good point. As long as your getting decent time out of your higher price ones, why use more material and potential waste.

Good point. As long as your getting decent time out of your higher price ones, why use more material and potential waste.

I haven't kept count, but I think most of the people "going through" poles (every year/twice a year) are breaking them and are tired of the replacement expense. If that's the case: a cheap pole will function fine until you break it, as will an expensive pole. I did break a Leki. My Swissgear's have not broken, but one doesn't close and one doesn't open.

If you're OK with failures while on the trail then go with the cheap $10 poles and get a new pair before the next hike, you'll save lots of money. If it's important that you're pole doesn't collapse when you're leaning hard on them while decending sending you into a downhill faceplant, pay a few extra bucks and get something you can depend on.

Again, I haven't kept count, but it seems to me that this crowd breaks poles whether they're expensive or not. I see no overwhelming evidence that cheap poles break and expensive poles don't.

I do see evidence, however, that people who buy expensive or inexpensive poles tend to defend their decision ;).

David Metsky said:
I have, multiple times, especially when skiing. It's a pain and can cause a fall.

Were those expensive or cheap poles ?

Last edited:
We need to get a handle on our pole selection criteria, or we might get the shaft...

One thing I'm going to add to my poles, when I get around to it, is a bit of reflective tape on each one. This brilliant :D idea came to me after I had put my poles down on the grass in the parking lot and then couldn't find them. I was weighing options: annoy my friends by insisting I wouldn't leave without them or spend money I don't have on a replacement pair. Fortunately, before I came up with an answer, a friend came up with the poles.

Last edited: