Water on the Slide, Wittenberg Cornell Loop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank

Reaction score
New York City, avatar location: Granite Chief, Squ
I am considering doing the Slide, Wittenberg Cornell Loop as a trail run from CR 47 on Monday, the 6th as the day bodes well weather wise from here.

My concerns are about water: crossing streams in light of the recent rain, and drinking. I want to travel light and the trail descriptions in the ADK guide mentions a number of springs. Drinking directly from high altitude springs, at their source seem to me to be a risk worth taking.

I am not too concerned about getting my shoes wet as I have had them dry out blister-free after having lubed toes pre-hike. ( Here is a link to an excellent video on this:http://www2.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/training/video6.html) I am concerned about not being able to cross a stream at flood level. My assumption is that 3 days of no rain would bring the Neversink down to a manageable level to ford at this altitude. But I have never done any hiking in the Catskills before and have no idea what to expect.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether my strategy on relying on available water sounds correct?

BTW, anyone out there registered for the Escarpment Trail Run?

Thanks.

The Neversink can be dangerous, so you will find out real fast if there are problems. That is the only major stream crossing. (PM for alternatives). The water past the summit of slide is good to drink. The water near Cornell is stagnant looking and we avoid it.

Good luck!

Catskills this weekend

Good info. I'll be doing that hike Saturday (11th) :cool:
Anyone want to hike Red Hill & Overlook with me Friday?