Welch/Dickey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
date: 12/15/07

conditions: Temps were 5 to 15 degrees. The trail had fresh, unbroken snow on top of a snow/ice base. Depth ranged from 5 to 8 inches. Route finding took some care (it has been a couple of years since I have done this hike).

special equipment: I found it ideal snowshoe conditions for a solo hiker. # hikers joined me just below the summit of Dickey and nicely took over the trail breaking duties (thanks....and thanks for the company). There was enought snow to stay on snow shoes right up & over the summits.Barebooting would have been possible but not after Sunday's snow fall.

comments: I had changed my hiking plan to Welch/Dickey since I was hiking solo & I knew I would be breaking trail. It turned out to be a wonderful choice. I forgot how wonderful this hike is. I really enjoyed being back on snowshoes. It was a perfect hike to get reacquainted with them. The conditions were perfect...no winds...perfect trail conditions. The icing on the cake was meeting up with the three hikers whose company I enjoyed.