West Branch Penobscot canoe trip.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekkin

Reaction score
Hello fellow VFTT'ers. Taking a break from my backpacking activities to do a leisurely canoe trip down the West Branch. While I've paddled before, and am comfortable in a canoe, I'm no expert....so I thought this was an good chance to ask some questions. Thanks very much in advance for any help. :)

First of all, for anyone local (I think Spencer lives up that way) are there any outfitters I should go out of my way to sek out, or avoid? All I need is a canoe and a couple of paddles. (we have tent, bags, pads, stoves, lanterns, etc). I was planning on going "ultra-lux", as from what I understand the carrying capacity of a canoe is infinitely greater than my 7,000 c.i. Gregory. I'm VERY excited about a cooler filled with the finest meats, cheeses, and hop based beverages. ;)

Again, just getting my feet wet in terms of research, but truly appreciate any advice. Also, if there's another forum out there that would yield more information I'd love a link, if possible.

Trekkin

My daughter is currently doing that very trip w an AMC group. I should have some basic feedback for you after she returns this weekend. :D

Gris - that would prove infinitely helpful! I'll PM you later this week or early next to see what she had to say, if that'd be o.k.

Bob - what a coincidence! That's what I read this a.m. that spurred my interest. Have done some canoe/camp trips in my youth with Outward Bound, but nothing since. This made me feel nostalgic, and the lady is quite excited as well.

Trek, I read it earlier as well, I sent it to my buddie with a suggestion for next summer. We plan on some pond hopping in the Dacks next month but a trip to Maine on the Penobscot or Allagash for a week would be Great!
Let us know how it goes.

No no no no.....Fitz, I have ZERO interest in an outfitter coming along with. I'm just in need of a canoe and paddles, and was wondering if I should rent from anyone in particular. Also, I didn't know if finding someone to ferry you to and from (start and end) would prove problematic, or if anyone in particular was recommended. I may not have worded that as well as I could have. Just wanted to clarify. :)

I checked your pics though! I'm psyched beyond belief....I think this is going to be A LOT of fun. Questions......did you fish? Did you see lotsa folks? Was there any "shared" campsites, or could you just get back on the water and head downstream a few minutes to get some solitude? Any hikes to be done in the area? Any side trips worth doing? Tell me anything you can remember or feel relevant.....within reason of course, as I don't want your digits binding up on ya. ;)

And thx all for the replies. This is a good place, with good people.

Last edited:
More info...

Trekker:

I used the term "outfitter" to refer to someone who might be able to "outfit" you with canoe and maybe assist with the shuttle. Sorry for the confusion.

There is an outfitter on the Golden Road on Chesuncook Lake who will shuttle. The name escapes me.

Check your PM for some info.

This is a good site for information. You can click on the campsites and see photos of the sites and it provides additional information.

http://www.adventuresinmaine.com/canoeing/regn_katmoose/penobscot/penobscot.htm

Have fun.

Trekkin said:
I think Spencer lives up that way

Well, I don't live that close to the West Branch area, but I get up that way periodically. I'm sorry to say I'm not familir with too many outfitters in that area.

I'm also sorry to say I've never paddled the West Branch. I had planned a trip for May, but a couple of days before I left, I thought better of it and realized it was just too early in the season for a 4 day solo trip, including a crossing of Chesuncook.

Based on his musings on NPMB (link provided earlier - I'm an infrequent reader) Fitz is as good as anyone to answer your questions...

have a blast and tell us about it when you return!

spencer