western MA or CT botany, 4/29/06?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I'm heading down to my parents' house in NJ, would like to stop somewhere interesting on the way.

Time/place not finalized, but I'm thinking Sat 4/29/06 10am-ish, possibly Bartholomew's Cobble, 3-4 hrs of rambling around (enough time to explore).

anyone interested, PM me. (or if you have other sugg's in CT near I-84)

p.s. I'd appreciate any recommendations getting back onto I-84 or I-87 heading south, I've gotten extremely lost in the Hudson River valley before :(

Since you've asked

I've noticed your posts have a botanical bent. Here's a link to the Eastern Native Tree Society. They make it their business to locate big tree sites all over the country, but many of the correspondants are centered around western MA. I visited Bartholmews Cobble years ago so I don't remeber much about it. It is a unique place. Other unique botanical sites are to be found in western MA. As far as a place to stop at on way to NJ, I'd recommend Ice Glen in Stockbridge. It's right near the Cobble and might make good 2nd place to stop. Other places in western MA include Mohawk State Forest on Rt 2 and William Cullen Bryant Homestead in Cummington area. Ice Glen and Bryant Homestead have some of the finest groves of old growth trees anywhere in the northeast.

Here's the link. I'm confident you'll find it interesting. In particular check out field trip reports. They are sorted by state. I'd love to check out a stand of trees located on bluff overlooking Ct River in Claremont NH. These are supposed to be pretty fine, but they are on private land so they don't give much info about exact location. I drove out there one Sunday and I think I figured out where it is.

http://www.uark.edu/misc/ents/

Check it out. I's like to hear what you think. Do a trip report if you visit one of the sites.

Ice Glen is only a few minutes from my house, and definitely worth seeing. Some really large white pines are in there, plus some amazing rock formations. While you are there, take the other trail up the hill to Laura's Tower, the view from up there is great.
Take rte. 7 north from the Cobble. Just before you reach the center of Stockbridge, you will see a Mobil station on the right, the road there is Park St. Take Park St. about a half mile to parking at the end.

Jazzbo said:
Here's a link to the Eastern Native Tree Society. They make it their business to locate big tree sites all over the country, but many of the correspondants are centered around western MA.
"ENTS" -- someone there was a Tolkien fan, I suppose.

I'll have time to see Bartholomew's Cobble and that's about it, unfortunately.