Westkill-Catskill completion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
For those of you that don't know by now, I will make it official. You are all invited to join me in my celebration of completing my requirements for the Catskill 3500 Club by climbing Westkill Mountain on Thursday, June 23, 2005. Why Thursday, you might ask? Because back on 6/23/70 (yes that was in my lifetime-age 18) I started (not knowing at that time) climbing the Catskill peaks by summiting Hunter. 35 years later to the day I am now finishing my peaks. The theme is 35 years, 35 peaks & 3500 feet. So save the date and stay tuned for meeting location & times. By the way, you know I will make it at the specified time and not too much sooner. Post hike activities include a dip in Diamond Notch and dinner celebration at the "Last Chance" Restaurant in Tannersville, why not, it was the successful venue of the VFTT Escape dinner. So come on and join me in this momentous event.

Interestinly, you started and finished on the "DEVILS PATH". Nice place to finish though, you can take a dip at the falls. I was on the devils path this weekend for the first time, and I know now how it got its name. I could swear I was hearing people talking. Everytime I stopped to listen, I couldn't hear anything. It was like invisible people were following me. :eek:

Adk_dib: In a way you are right. Hunter Mountain is no longer on the Devils Path. However, when I first climbed it in 1970, it was on the Devils Path as it did go over Hunter Mountain past the the John Robb Shelter and down to Spruceton Road. I used that route of ascent. I don't know when, but sometime since I started climbing the Catskill peaks, they extended the Devils Path to go over Westkill, and it no longer goes over Hunter. It goes as close as the Devils Acre Lean-to, sort of in the col with SW Hunter, which is now a 3500 footer, but not when I started climbing the peaks. A matter of fact, SW Hunter I had to add to my official tally sheet that I will be submitting.

Hi Aaron, I wanted to wish you good luck and congratulations! Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, too much business to take care of in the big apple. I'll be looking out for some pictures here and I hope to hike with you again soon!

I DID IT!!!!! 22 participants joined me for this ascent of Westkill and celebrated my accomplishment. It was a great hike with many friends. TJ of VFTT fame was there with me and took some photos. Now I will send him back the official VFTT belt which I wore throughout the hike. Full report will follow in a couple of days.

askus3 said:
I DID IT!!!!! 22 participants joined me for this ascent of Westkill and celebrated my accomplishment. It was a great hike with many friends. TJ of VFTT fame was there with me and took some photos. Now I will send him back the official VFTT belt which I wore throughout the hike. Full report will follow in a couple of days.

Wow, what great weather you must have had up there!

Congrats!