What about DEET?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, thread drift to the dreaded Di Hydrogen Monoxide scandal:eek:. Looks like VFTT is going to finally have to take a stand on whether or not we will continue using Di Hydrogen Monoxide when hiking.;)

Interesting. Years ago when I studied deet, my understanding was that deet works more like a nerve agent - it triggers a reflexive reaction to the mosquito that causes it to take off as soon as it lands on deet.

There seem to be two theories about how DEET works--one is that it blocks the mosquito's sense of smell (they locate their victims by smell so it would be a "blinding" agent) or that its smell is offensive to mosquitoes (ie it actually repels them).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

Insects that locate their victims by sight might not be affected by DEET, which might account for its ineffectiveness at defending against horseflies and deer flies. (Speculation--I have no references.)

Doug

Last edited:
Came down with a wierd skeeter borne illness last September. Complete with acute brain swelling and a multiple visits to infectious disease dept at Beth Israel. Put me out of work for 2 weeks and really was not back to normal for over 2 months in terms of mental accuity and ability. I will go back to using DEET products as I nearly died from a freaking skeeter bite.

I use BEN's I believe it 30% deet, I would not even consider changing that stuff is the best. I do not get bothered by bugs not even black flys and everyone says it doesnt work on them, does for me. Since we are on the subject dont use things that smell before hiking ie. purfume.cologne, shampoo, it attracts bugs like mad. I used to hike with this guy who always smelled so good, but was attacked to no end as soon as he set foot in the woods, hell I kept my mouth shut, it kept them away from me.:D

p.s. I love the fact that there is a new study on Deet, its already been studied to death please, I wouldnt even read it .

Takes the finish off of instruments

I once used it while playing a wedding in western ma. As I played, I would look down and watch the mosquitos land and go to town. Nothing like trying to get through some bluegrass while being devoured. I applied some Ben's and the next day the finish was bubbling where my pickin' arm met my mandolin. Bummer.