What about those Booties?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I was debating purchasing down or similarly insulated booties while camping during the winter, however I ended up passing up on the purchase, not being sure if the purchase would be worth while.

I was wondering if anyone had comments about using them in winter camping situations?

I was thinking of something similar:
Edit: This link should work now

Fish

Last edited:
Your URL is unusable...

Down or polyester booties are very useful for camping and as safety gear. Boots can get wet and are frequently inadequate to keep one's feet warm if one is inactive (eg camping, emergency, bivouac) and booties are a good way of insulating one's feet while still being able to walk around. You can also wear them inside your sleeping bag if they are reasonably dry. Since they are in the snow, they are likely to get wet--therefore I recommend polyester over down.

Doug

Booties

Depending on how you deal with the cold you may not need them.

I have issues with cold feet and know that I would'nt be able to winter camp comfortably without them. Since I've gotten booties, winter camping is comfortable and more enjoyable. I have friends on the other hand who's feet are the least of their concerns, they could sit around in their ski boots and rarely ever worry about having cold feet.

At the very least, you won't be dissapointed with booties, they will definitely make winter camping more enjoyable.

booties

If your "camping" during the Winter by all means bring some extra footwear. If I'm in camping situations I don't mind the extra weight/bulk. I would choose down for its compressability.

I do own a pair of Sierra Designs down booties and I'm NOT all that impressed....feet still get cold around camp.

Brooks Ranger overboots are weighty but they can serve nicely around camp and over leather boots in very cold conditions above treeline. The multi-purpose ability with these make the diff to me....

If I'm traversing or concerned with higher mileage type days I would leave down booties at home every time.....every ounce matters to me on this type of hike. I just crawl in by bag and cook dinner. I gather snow to melt using compression sac before getting in bag....

Last edited:
I LOVE my down booties - they're warm, comfy, and a lot easier to put on for those midnight nature calls. They're best when the temperature is cold - they will get wet if you wear them above 25 - 30°.

My wife has down booties and loves them. I don't get the need personally, I just usually wear the inner bootie/liner from my plastic boots around. I find them comfortable and just as warm, and often, the heat from my feet dry them out if they've gotten damp. I guess it would be useful to have booties if you tend to have cold feet and want to have something dry to change into if your liners get soaked, but haven't had that problem.

Sorry for the URL, it should be fixed now.

I didn't seem to need a pair during my first winter camping experience, but honestly, we setup and then climbed directly into our sleeping bags. I would imagine that if we didn't climb into our bags right away, it would of been nice to walk around in something other than my koflachs.

The problem with some of the down booties is your feet tend to slide around in them. Bothers my back and if you camp on a slope or incline things may get dangerous.

The slipper type with sole from Mountain Hardwear are the way to go. Warm and supportive....sub zero booties.....Alittle hard to find because they are so good.

Bluethroatedone said:
My wife has down booties and loves them. I don't get the need personally, I just usually wear the inner bootie/liner from my plastic boots around. I find them comfortable and just as warm, and often, the heat from my feet dry them out if they've gotten damp. I guess it would be useful to have booties if you tend to have cold feet and want to have something dry to change into if your liners get soaked, but haven't had that problem.

BlueThroated, I wore the inner of my koflachs too, but I'm scared of wearing them outside the tent though...Are they water resistant?

spaddock said:
In the winter I bring along a pair of Integral Designs "Hot Socks"
http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

They are super lightweight and aren't as "bulky" as booties as I like to wear them in my bag as part of my sleep system.

-Shayne

Shayne--I have these too...awesome piece of equipment that I never leave home on a winter trek....but I dont think they are designed for around camp use. They are a VBL and very thin...would wear out pretty fast on wood floors or tear easily around camp.

blownaway said:
The slipper type with sole from Mountain Hardwear are the way to go. Warm and supportive....sub zero booties.....Alittle hard to find because they are so good.

Even harder to find because I believe Mountain Hardwear stopped selling them. Not sure why, they got rave reviews.

-Shayne

blownaway said:
Shayne--I have these too...awesome piece of equipment that I never leave home on a winter trek....but I dont think they are designed for around camp use. They are a VBL and very thin...would wear out pretty fast on wood floors or tear easily around camp.

You sure we're talking about the same thing? I was referring to "Hot Socks". Not the "VB Socks" as seen here:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

The sole definitely doesn't have as much padding as a bootie but for me its a compromise of weight and functionality. I wear them in the bag and keep them on for when I have to make those 2am dashes to the bathrroom.

-Shayne

I have some of those MEC Hut Booties and recommend them highly for winter camping. I frequently wear them when walking my dogs when it's below zero degrees F. and I'm impressed by how well they fit, how they don't slide on snow and how warm they are.

About 30 years ago, I used to wear felt liners from snowmobile boots for sitting around shelters or the Harvard Cabin (and sometimes inside my sleeping bag), then upgraded to Sierra Designs down booties that were a bit too big and had no traction (made for some interesting trips to the outhouses). I find the MEC booties to be better than either of those options.

Your right...I was referring to the VBL by Integral Design and not the Hot Sock you indicated.....They look very nice and are probably very compact.

Last edited:
I just replaces some old Wiggy's synthetic booties with SD down ones. I use these inside a pair of NEOS Overboots (see other thread) for standing/sitting around while winter camping. It's an awesome combo for anyone who's feet get cold easily. I sleep with booties on, and then just slip on the overboots, so I don't have to put on cold boots, at leat until I'm gonna hike somewhere.

The SD booties are nice because they have a closed cell foam sole, the ankles come up high enough, and they have an elastic band around the inside of the ankle to keep them from falling down. Not bad at $30.

I also carry these with me on winter day hikes for emergency purposes.

Well, I just wore my wool felt Sorel liners into my sleeping bag a few weeks ago. Nice and toasty. But I like sleeping bear's combo of the Neos and booties.

I just recently purchased a pair of down booties from EMS, and have found them to be more than worthwhile. They are perfect for wearing around camp in the evening, and also can be worn inside your sleeping bag. It's nice to not have to worry about putting something on your feet in the middle of the night when you have to get up to go to the bathroom. I had no problem with snow getting inside my sleeping bag either, it was pretty easy to brush the snow off before climbing back into the bag.

I did notice that my feet tended to slide around inside the booties a bit, but this problem went away when I put on a pair of socks. Overall, I would consider booties to be a worthwhile investment even though they are primarly for comfort, and have no technical use. They kept my feet warm and dry for nearly 12 days straight in the woods in the winter.