what are your winter boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, thank y'all for all the reply's.

i actually tried on some koflack degrees and a stiff ice climbing/mountaineering soft boot from kayland that i liked. the degrees were actually more comfortable than i expected but too noisy.
no rockers in the soles due to crampon use and soft snow? how much give and break-in is there with boots like these?

we're heading up to the whites next weekend so i'll get to try on more boots in north conway. i'm starting to think the heavy duty boots would be nice as i could use regular crampons rather than the strap kind (i have G10's) and also the boots and crampons could be used for ice climbing....hmmmm seems like a good start to trying to justify the price tags.
will boots like these last for 5 years or more? I had my vasque sundowners resoled and they are going on 6 years and are better than ever.

a friend told me tonight the REI in boston has over a dozen winter boots in stock and the store is crazy big, is he smoking crack or is the store that big and full of gear?

thanks again y'all

With double plastics, what you feel in the store is what you get. The liners compress a little, but that's about it. There is no break-in on these puppies. They last forever unless you destroy the liners, and in that case you can get replacements. My Scarpas are over 10 years old and going strong. I use them for more techical ice than winter hiking right now, but that seems to be changing as time goes by. If you buy a pair and they feel worse as time goes by, go to a ski boot retailer as they may be able to help refit the liners better.

I use Sorel Crusaders. I just about used up my first pair after 1780 miles.
I've already been using the second pair when I anticipate traction being critical.

They have 8 sets of eye-holes so I can lace them well enough to eliminate heel lift. I could not do the same with the more popular Caribou.

I have 4 sets of liners and rotate them to share the wear. I sewed on a patch of plastic on the heal to eliminate the frictional wear point.

It is also useful to bring a second set of liners on overnight trips. They're certainly light enough. I store them inside my booties making the booties quite toasty for camp time standing around.

I've selected my crampons with much descrimination and they work well on these boots. However keep in mind that some/most crampons do not work well if at all on Sorels.

I also own a pair of Scarpa Invernos and they work well, but when its cold, I prefer walking around with shoes that feel like warm fuzzy slippers.

JHS

John, a Question on the Crusaders. I was looking at them a coupla years ago and I didn't like the design where the tongue is attached to the boot all the way up. Like sticking your foot into a tube to get the boot on. Have they changed that design at all?

That was the single factor that limited me from getting those boots - I couldn't see myself sitting in my tent or lean-to struggling to get my darn feet into them?

How do you find them from that respect?

Starchild,

You might want to check out IME in North Conway and Ragged Mountain - they both still have some used plastic boots in stock. I'm in the market for some winter boots as well. I have a pair of insulated saloman packboots but I find that they don't keep my feet warm enough (also I don't think they are allowed on AMC Boston chapter winter trips).

Sorel Crusaders

Rick,

Since you mention it, yes, it requires a little bit of tugging to get them on.
Nothing that I would consider unreasonable. I don't mind the tugging since I'm more concerned with having no heel lift. I do loosen up the laces alot and I do see a difference if I do not loosen them well. Also note that my feet are size 9.5 US and I chose a size 9 Sorel. Again for the same reason. And, with age the liners pack down making more room, it never getting smaller.

JHS

Have any of you ice climbed in your Koflach Degrees or Scarpa Invernos?

I am in the market this winter and I would love to find that elusive dual use solution. Something that will keep my toes warm on a winter hike and also help me get up some ice