What could this structure be?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Exploring an abandoned logging road I saw an interesting structure right off the road. View from the road:

P1050135.JPG

View from inside the woods:

P1050127.JPG

No evidence of recent traffic near this structure.

Any idea what it could be? For what it's worth it is inside the WMNF.

More photos here.

Sure looks like a tree stand to me (for hunters)...

If it's right off the road, maybe it's a NH speed trap? :p

Jay

I found a similar stand being used for bear hunting. Nearby was a (closed) barrel filled with very foul smelling bait.

If this is in the WMNF, the hunters are required to remove the equipment after hunting season. You can contact F&G or the USFS.

I found a similar stand being used for bear hunting. Nearby was a (closed) barrel filled with very foul smelling bait.

If this is in the WMNF, the hunters are required to remove the equipment after hunting season. You can contact F&G or the USFS.

I find a TON of tree stands all over the woods in NY, all different kinds in all different stages of disuse. Most of them aren't removable and are basically permanent structures (2x4s, etc)..

I've yet to run into a bear bait station in the woods though.. Bear Baiting in NY is not permitted (though I'm sure it happens)

Jay

ran into one of those today while skiing the backwoods behind my house. I didn't know the hunters had to remove it after the hunting season ended. hmm. useful info.

I also believe that you are not legally allowed to harm the tree, such as nailing 2x4s or screwing in pegs for rungs, unless you are the land owner.

I suspect many have seen them along the US-Canada border swath but built on site out of native materials, saplings etc. Often a salt lick nearby though I don't think that is legal on US side of border.

Amazingly in NH you are not required to get landowner permission for as tree stand unless it damages the tree or you cut branches to clear a field of fire.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunt_landowner_hunter_FAQs.htm#Hunterquestions

I also thought that you had to remove tree stands from WMNF but couldn't find that online.

And I thought the tree stand had to have your name and address but couldn't find that online either.

If it was me, I would tell F&G and WMNF as noted, or offer to remove it free if I could keep it :)

Last edited: