What do you carry?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
What do you carry in your pack for a typical (8-14) mile day hike? I went thru my pack before our last hike and this is what I found: First aid kit, emergency supplies (matches, tape. batteries, sunblock, windscreen, ect) flashlight, leatherman, camera, extra fleece, light gloves, extra hat, wind pant and jacket, crampons, cel phone, wallet (after the recent car break thread), 2 liters hydration set up, couple pbj sandwiches, trail mix, 2 emergency power bars. How about you?

Less water, (1ltr) and a filter.
First-aid kit is small but potent
some Goo and a PBJ or two
light weight pants to replace my kilt if need be.
extra clothing depends on environment.
Map, compass, camera, light, signal device.
I hike around the lowlands outside of Boston alot.
Just did the Warner trail 30 miles from Canton, MA to Cumberland, RI and I do the Blue Hills a bit.

If I'm in the Whites, I carry more clothes and maybe an overnight set up (kitchen, food, sleeping arrangements).

I'm about the same, but I also include some small garbage bags for trash I pick up, a little light cotton or nylon cord in case I need to make a shelter or something, and a sierra cup which I can heat water on a fire with. Map and compass of course, and the GPS for fun. Usually I have a few soup mix packets and a couple of oatmeal things also. In the winter I throw in a small stove like my Svea 123. And don't forget the camera, so your buddies can see what they missed!
Tom

Last edited:
A few things in addition to your lists that I always bring.
1 extra pair of smartwool socks(double as mittens)
About 6' of chicken wire spooled up on a popsicle stick.
A small hand towel. (too much Douglas Adams as a kid)
If camping; Tevas

coldmountain said:
A few things in addition to your lists that I always bring.
1 extra pair of smartwool socks(double as mittens)
About 6' of chicken wire spooled up on a popsicle stick.
A small hand towel. (too much Douglas Adams as a kid)
If camping; Tevas

Maybe I'm tired tonight, Please explain the Chix wire.
Did you mean 6 feet or inches and for what?

I wear my altimeter and I do carry a compass and map also trail point or markers and i did have extra socks in there, sorry i did it from memory...CRS..LOL

so you just let your chickens roam free on a hike?

I meant 6" not 6'. oopsie.
I broke a showshoe binding on a hike about 4 years ago. One of the guys I was with had duct tape but there wasnt enough and it kept rolling up. I looked in my pack for something, anything , that would help...
I pull out this little stick with 6"x3" wire mesh wrapped around it. It was supposed to be in my toolbox at home(why I dunno)My little boy had dropped it in my pack I found out later. I snipped it into a strip and threaded it through, voila!
Its balanced my stove a few times since but thats about it. I just cant take it out:)

Couple quarts of water in the outside pockets. Inside, a bottle of Gatorade, some granola bars, trail mix, a flashlight, a head lamp, a space blanket, a whistle, a compass, a small first aid kit (moleskin, scissors, bandages, gauze, Bacitracin, spare sunglasses, Pepto-Bismol tablets), a squirt bottle of soapy water, a knife, a mechanical pencil, a head net (to keep the bugs away — I've worn it about once), a Gore-tex jacket if the forecast calls for blustery or wet weather. A red flasher hanging on the back. Hat (either Gore-tex or straw) either on my head or hanging from my wooden walking stick. Map and camera in a small pouch attached to my pack's belt. Bicycling gloves if I ever locate them. Fleece gloves if it's chilly, natch; if it's that cold I also carry my dear old Early Winters Silver Lining jacket. Old style Timex altimeter watch on my wrist. Wallet, keys, and handkerchiefs are in my pockets. Coin purse stays in the car.

Last edited:
Water (in a Platypus), lunch or other munchies, first aid, compass, map, gloves ( i have raynauds i carry these even in summer) hat, marmot precip jacket, camera, ID ( i carry my wallet since I don't want to leave it in either the car/motel room/ tent). Clothing may vary based on weather - I may put in long tights if I start out in shorts and shorts if I start out in long tights. I may throw in a fleece jacket also depending on the weather.