What have you used for supply caches?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
I've usually been able to spot a car in a strategic location to resupply during a hiking/backpacking trip but I'm curious as to what others use for storage containers when a car is not feasible and exposure to the elements and critters a consideration.

I've accumulated some 5 gallon joint compound buckets that, with the lid firmly secured, would certainly hold sufficient supplies but I'm not sure about the security against racoons etc. A waterproof container is also desireable; in addition to keeping things dry it could be submerged in a stream to keep things cool. Is a bear canister the best option?

Also, has anyone had experience keeping things chilled or frozen with dry ice?

Stan said:
I've accumulated some 5 gallon joint compound buckets that, with the lid firmly secured, would certainly hold sufficient supplies but I'm not sure about the security against racoons etc.

Stan - I did an ultralight hike along the AT in Maine a while back and cached 2 food drops using 5 gallon plastic pails w/tight fitting covers. Neither pail was bothered by critters. I wrote on the lid with a bold permanent marker "Keep out, NO Bears allowed". :D :D
It worked for me ;)

The only real critter precaution I took was to be careful not to introduce food smells to the pail. All food items where packed in freezer grade zip-locks and the pail was lined with a trash compactor bag.

(just make sure to go back and retrieve your pails!)

Mil-Spec Adventure

I use military surplus ammo boxes, which are usually cheap, and come in a wide variety of sizes, in both metal and heavy plastic. Most of them have pretty substantial latches, but I imagine a determined bear (or a raccoon that works out a lot) could manipulate the existing release if they played with it long enough. The old style metal cases can be modified for extra security against curious paws by adding a wide-head screw that is threaded into a hole drilled next to the bottom of the latch release handle - the screw can be cinched down with a coin to keep the release shut. (and like the bear boxes, a coin is best left with the box!) I am sure most of the other cases/latches could be easily modified for pretty good security, and they do have a airtight rubber seal which seems to work quite well.

The main downside is their weight, but for setting up caches that are on roadsides or close by, they are great.

But the best part about using these boxes is the instant military cachet lent to any outdoor adventure, instantly transfusing otherwise mundane hikes with a tangy "Ramboesque" flavor. ;)

Camo face paint not included

On the Long Trail, I have successfully used 5 gallon containers from the hardware store. Canned, and otherwise well-sealed foods, do not seem to produce aromas that attract animals. If you place your caches into the woods adjacent to roads, you will not likely be interfering with federally designated Wilderness areas, since Wilderness areas generally have no roads.

Most of the federal wilderness regulations I have seen for food caches allow them provided that they are bear resistant/approved. Geocaches are another matter.

I would be interested in which specific areas that they are not allowed, just out of curiosity.

Don't forget that the difference is HUGE between what *you* can smell and what a *bear* can smell. Plastic is permeable. Whether you can detect it or not, plastic can absorb and retain smells. I remember from a visit to Yosemite that the car rules forbade leaving containers, with food or not, that even appeared similar to popular food containers. Their published reason was that bears are smart enough to learn what food containers look like. The bear will break into a car to get to the container - pics showed broken windows and bent doors - even in the absence of food smells.

If caching, I would either invest in a bear proof container or use a plastic bucket as described but hang it in a bear proof manner. While containers are not strong enough to keep the bear out, it is my understanding that they operate on the principal that it is of a size and shape as to disallow the bear getting a decent grip to break it open - much as the Buster Cube does for dogs. A bucket doesn't, but hanging it would provide some additional assurance.

I havent used any lately but have used both 5 gallon drywall pails with covers and ammo boxes in the past. I like ammo boxes as many can be locked shut and its easy to drill the box and add a loop to chain it to a tree. My biggest concern was usually curious people not animals

The drywall pail concept is easier and probably doesnt get raided by animals as it doesnt look natural and the animals have not yet made the connection between the pail and food. I double ziplock all my food and its tends to be dried so the odor is probably pretty low.

Tim Seaver said:
Most of the federal wilderness regulations I have seen for food caches allow them provided that they are bear resistant/approved. Geocaches are another matter.

I would be interested in which specific areas that they are not allowed, just out of curiosity.

I know there have been prosecutions in Minnesota and at least one Western state, but I probably spoke a little too broadly. I thought that the Wilderness Act prohibits leaving evidence of humans in Wilderness Areas, but I haven't found the language I had in mind.

The Forest Service apparently thinks specific authorization is needed for such a ban. The Secretary of Agriculture has promulgated a regulation that authorizes the banning of caching in National Forest wilderness areas. From Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

36 CFR § 261.57 National Forest wilderness.
When provided by an order, the following are prohibited:

(a) Entering or being in the area.
(b) Possessing camping or pack-outfitting equipment, as specified in the order.
(c) Possessing a firearm or firework.
(d) Possessing any non-burnable food or beverage containers, including deposit bottles, except for non-burnable containers designed and intended for repeated use.
(e) Grazing.
(f) Storing equipment, personal property or supplies.
(g) Disposing of debris, garbage, or other waste.
(h) Possessing or using a wagon, cart or other vehicle.

So, you'd need to check for an order from the respective Forest Supervisor.

I've used well-buried (leaf litter, branches etc, to fend off curious humans and casual critters) 5 gallon pails like others have, with good results. One time we encountered some very fast, very hungry thru hikers and when the topic turned inevitably to food, we mentioned our cache- they said they'd be happy to find it and replace its contents entirely with shrimp ramen noodles...:) so we had a good laugh, but divulged nothing else.

Weatherman

Thanks for all the comments. The cache will indeed be along a trail likely to be traversed by hungry thru hikers so I'll not only take extra security precautions, I'll be sure to pack a little extra. ;)

A hardigg or pelican box would work they are fairly insdestructable and water tight. They would not be the easiest for a critter to open, it would have to be clawed through. As a plus you can also install a small pad lock to keep out passers by

Lou

I've used anything from plastic shopping bags to a 5 gallon plastic tub to the Cadillac of bear cannisters, the Bearicade, and have never lost any food to animals.

In the Sierras I wouldn't go with anything but the bear cannister -- the bears out here are SMART!

The 5 gallon plastic tubs are nice because you can use them as chairs as you dine. :D

As for waterproofing, Ziplocks are the inexpensive way to go. You could also try dry bags.

Make sure to hide your stash well but remember exactly where it is!

Sue

If you have any military surplus stores in the area, look for something like this. It's metal with a waterproof seal, and it's lockable with just a regular lock, so people can't get into it. Bear's and other critters can't get through the metal outside, and you're guaranteed the contents would be dry. The only downside is they're only 5.5" in diameter, but they are 3' long. I have a few of these left if anyone would like to borrow some for a trip.