What kind of hiker are you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow but a faster slow if needed.There's no way I'm going to say I'm even approaching fast with all these super fit hikers on this board. :rolleyes:

Patience is a virtue or so I keep telling my teenage son as he sort of patiently waits for me to look at the birds and flowers and views. There are porbably few people who can take as many pictures as I do on a hike.
If I have to we move right along, especially if I'm tired and want to get to point B (car or tent site) to rest. Sometimes I know I'm just more efficient to just suck it up and haul the stuff, pronto.

What kind of hiker am I?

I'm restless when it rains, but usually I'm happy, playful (I love rock hopping down streams), solar-powered (faster in warm sunny weather, slower in cold weather as it drains my energy like a battery), focused at times, relaxed at others, distracted by nature's sounds and beauty, on a mission when I'm tired and just want to get back, contemplative, and very thankful every time I get to hike.

Speed is relative as I hike faster when alone than when I'm with others. I also take fewer breaks and for shorter periods when I'm alone. I get cold easily so I keep moving to stay warm.

I'm not fond of hiking in rain (had hypothermia once), but a light mist creates an enchanted forest that can be delightful to explore. And a passing summer shower can be refreshing in the heat.

I'm an enthusiastic hiker. Planning a hike is almost as much fun as the trek itself. I try to be a prepared hiker, packing extra clothes, food, water and other essentials (first aid kit, cell phone, and chocolate ;) ) in the event that I get stuck on the mountain overnight (by the way I would never tell any of you if that happened for fear of being publicly tarred and feathered! ;) ).

I am an addicted hiker. I keep coming back for more. I love the journey more than the destination. Blisters, sore muscles, scrapes and bug bites don't even make a dent in the endorphin high that lasts for days after. I am a passionate hiker who hopes to still be hiking well into my 90s (at any speed) long after completing any lists. And at that point I may even consider myself an experienced hiker. ;) I'd like my tombstone to read, "We would have buried her with her boots on, but she wore them out!" :D