What to carry when snowshoeing to sit on

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple Thermosrest seat pads from campmor on clearance once. They're about 12 x16 and ya just open up the air valve. Roll em up when done to about a 2" by 12" cylinder that weighs a couple ounces. Great insulation. I also have a Ridg-u-rest seat that is the same size and folds up but it always wants to fold up before I can sit on it.

foam works - but I just sit on the pack - too much hassle to take the foam off the pack. put the pad back on....... - I mean how long are you really going to be sitting?? not long in winter.

you already have the pack - so why not -

oh yea - sit on the side that your back touches

mouse pad(s)

I have used a mouse pad and for days when I feel wider than other days, I carry one for each cheek....... :p

Inge :D

Heehee! That's one of the funniest things I've ever read here. :p :D

Laughing is a good thing!

Hey Sue!

Glad to hear you got a chuckle outa that thought!
I didn't want to be laughing alone.......... :)

Inge

Lots of great ideas. Sittin on my pack works for me.

If I want an extended stay say half hour snooze on a windless day like next to Madison hut.-hello sun! I stretch out my auto windshield reflector pad and use my pack as a pillow. Pads are made of 1/8” polyethylene foam with a piece of space blanket laminated to one side and measure 5-1/2 ft wide. Mine I cut to 2 ft (by 5.5ft) to fit in my Hennessy hammock. Not the greatest insulation at 1/8” but for short stays works for me. Can be folded in half or quarters for added insulation. Also makes a quick emergency ground cover for a downed hiker. Weight: 3.7 oz.

Gary

I bought a cheap foam pad at Walmart. I cut it into four sections. One is a seat/foot pad for winter camping. I use one of the pieces for skiing, to change in the parking lot. It is easier then trying to stand on your sneakers.

i carry two chunks of an old closed cell (ensollite) pad for each person. A ranger (Pete Fish?, Gary Lee?) once told me to cary two. One for your seat and one to put under your feet if you had to sit out a night. They weigh maybe an ounce or two each and slide down into the pack.

Im with Bruno on this one, just sit on your pack, man 2 pages on what to sit on, what do you carry to place down on the ground to set your water bottle on :eek: seriously, this imo is another unnessasary piece of I cant even call it gear. I will say this on an overnight you will already have a pad, then again IF I camp out in the winter Im in my tent when I set it up.

sierra said:
Im with Bruno on this one, just sit on your pack, man 2 pages on what to sit on, what do you carry to place down on the ground to set your water bottle on :eek: seriously, this imo is another unnessasary piece of I cant even call it gear. I will say this on an overnight you will already have a pad, then again IF I camp out in the winter Im in my tent when I set it up.

666 views....seems to be of interest to some of us... :p

I just went out and bought a pad today....I may even share it with my water bottle. ;)

whoa hang on there, I was simply offering my opinion no need to get hostile. Sheeshe you even bashed the lack of interest in one of the few threads I started. I call a truce, whatever makes you happy ok, man I had a bad day a work as well maybe my stars are way out of allignment. peace all.

I stick one toe warmer onto each buttock. When I'm feeling flush I splurge and use an entire foot warmer.

I hardly ever sit when winter hiking. When I do, I sit it's on whatever's handy but prefer to use one of my hiking partners. For my water bottle I use a coaster that has, "My car climbed Mt. Washington" written on it. It weighs 6 grams.

Tuggy said:
I bought a couple Thermosrest seat pads from campmor on clearance once. They're about 12 x16 and ya just open up the air valve. Roll em up when done to about a 2" by 12" cylinder that weighs a couple ounces. Great insulation.

I got one of those as a birthday gift, and it is always in my pack since. Litteraly always. I just don't sit while hiking.

slowpoke : If one day I meet you on a trail I'll give it to you :)

ems mountain chair, same as crazy creek chairs.
i always carry mine and usually on the outside of my pack so its very quick and easy to grab and sit on. they roll up quite well.

as david metsky said, they have lots of uses.

summer or winter its a little extra padding under my sleeping pad as well.

ragged mtn. had some that were lighter than the crazy creek or ems versions, i picked one up for $15 i think. well worth the money and extra weight.

Jim lombard said:
At a yard sale I got one of those round orange hunter seats, weighs a few ounces and is just big enough for one person. Fits nicely in my pack and the foam inside heats up too which is nice :)
They can also hang from the bottom of Your pack, and if placement is right, can just sit without removing Your pack.