What's the best thing you've learned here?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 The awesome people, LOL, that you CAN meet on the internet and then walk into the woods with!

#2 Great advice on hydrating in winter.

#3 Trail conditions and gear requirements.

#4 Sanity check for some of my wilder trip plans.

#5 Inspiration.

Best thing I've learned:
How to spend one's prime years at the keyboard.

INSPIRATION! GUIDANCE! ENTERTAINMENT!
I positively love having a place I can go 24/7 where I can relate to other like minded people.
It 's great knowing you can relate your experiences, plans, adventures without someone rolling their eyes or asking you "why on God's green earth would you do such a thing???"
Each time I choose to sleep out in my own yard I remember that some of you a probably doing the same.
Thanks to Darren and the moderators for setting standards for the site and enforcing them so things don't get out of control.
Each and everyone in their own way has something important to offer.
Keep it coming!

Where to begin...there are so many things.

1. That I can trust people like Sherpa Kroto, Nadine, Arm, Go, Sectional Scott (I still remember the first time I found out there was a forum part to this site and opted to do the Maine 6 pack with complete strangers with my kids) I will never forget that experience as long as I live.

2. The valuable information from so many people, which maps/books were the best...the most recent! I think of Arm and HarryK who are just wealths of information! There are so many...can't name them all.

3. Getting to know other crazy families that hike with their kids....Neil and family, Mav and his family, AJTIV and his kids....I think my kids have enjoyed this part of the site the best. (The Maxsons...lurking in the shadows...haha

So many, many things...Thanks everyone for all you've shared and for hiking with us!

It's hard to track the best but:

Sour cream can be dehydrated (yet untested)

I specifically remember something Neil brought up about a year ago and going "AHA! excellent tibit of knowledge" can't for the life of me remember the tidbit. Oddly, it may have had to do with vacuum bagging

"After you seal the spray skirt on make sure this loop in front is on the outside" (Thanks Darren).

The tape a trip's bearings to the compass tip (alas, a rarely deployed tip).

I learned to open my mind more on subjects like dogs, handguns, bikes, less/more experienced hikers, emergency gear. solo hiking, GPS, etc. Flaming debates are important on forums. Once we can get over the nasty comments, we realize that everyone is in right to have his own point of view. There's million ways to hike, and none is the perfect one.

Also other important things, like : some people like the wide opening Nalgene, and some prefer it narrow.

Wish I could learn more about writing in english though :eek:

OH- And I learned that some other people enjoy my drawings. Thanks to all.

What's the best thing I've learned.

Hmmmmmmmmm,

The most valuable thing I've learned is how little I really know.

It's also a reaffirmation for me that the world (this one anyway) is filled with warm, funny, wonderful people that will generously give of themselves so that people who know less (like me) will one day know more.

And that in turn inspires me to go out and learn more so that some day I can give back in some small measure.

One thing I've learned (and I'm not brown nosing) is what a great bunch of people Upstate New Yorkers and New Englanders are. I really mean that. I'm especially impressed with the openness demonstated towards French Canadians. Hell, it seems like half of the North East's population descended from Quebec lineage anyway. :D

No slur against NYC dwellers, especially if they are all like FunkyFreddy. If so, I think I'll move there.

Oh yeah, I learned a lot about batteries and gps's too. And mapping, and birds, and crampons, slides, boots, compasses, the weather, digital photography, the sun and the stars and....I learned how funny Pete Hickey is.