What's wrong with wool ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get really cold, I put on wool. I carry two wool sweaters on all my winter hikes. One is thin and full of holes and it is my first line of defense when I've gotten soaked from branches covered in snow. It works every time, holes or no. The second sweater is for real emergencies, and for when I'm sitting for hours on a hunting stand, not moving. The fleeces (I carry one of them too) are fine, but the wool is what really makes the difference. They aren't all that heavy; it only takes a thin wool sweater to accomplish the same as a fleece. I can't comment on when they get wet, because I keep them in plastic bags in reserve for when I get cold and need them. If I could only take one layer of clothing with me, I'd pick the wool sweater.

Now this particular old wool sweater was originally worn for a number of years by my dad, who got it when the game warden threw it away after wearing it for who knows how long. My dad now keeps trying to convince me to throw it away because it "really has too many holes now." But it sure works good.