Where to Finish?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where should I finish?

• Giant

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Rocky Peak Ridge

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Santanoni

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
Head said:
I'd say RPR from Rte 9 is a pretty awesome trip (thats if you did Giant before hand). There are tons of views on the way up from Blueberry Cobble to Bald and of course RPR.

These were my thoughts before even hitting reply. I made this approach when summiting RRP for the first (and still only) time, eating blueberries along the way. The views of the Dix range are great, and Giant is a splendid sight from RRP. However, I still like Giant's views more because you look down the Great Range better from its summit. Giant just feels more centrally located when you're on it. RRP is just far enough east that the Dix range still partially blocks some of the views, and while Giant is nice to look at it does kinda make the panoramic 'cramped'.

So, maybe try what I did -- stage a car at Chapel Pond or Roaring Brook falls, drive back out to 9 and hike the whole ridge, up and over RRP, and finish on Giant. Get 2 great views and an awesome dayhike all in one shot. I'm sure you'll find someone to help station that extra car (I'm sure you don't want to drive 2 vehicles all the way from Tioga).

My 46th was a bit of a let down, but that was my fault. I rushed things getting there. You're working at your own pace, and the sense of accomplishment won't be diminshed on payday. :)

Last edited:
Thanks to all who answered and voted :)

Kevin (Stoopid) when I do this trip I am definately going to stage 2 cars and do both as a through hike. I have heard awesome things about this trip from you and others :) I can probably find some people to celebrate with me and hopefully my 46er correspondant will join me too :D