Where to heat mold boot liners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerbrian

Reaction score
Anyone know of a shop that has experience heat molding boot liners? I just got a pair of Spantiks and I want to heat mold the liners for them. Boston area or anywhere in the Whites is fine (I'm up there often enough). I definitely want a shop that has done this sort of thing before. Thanks!

You can do it yourself. It's not that difficult.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/search?q=heat+molding+liners

Yeah, I know...but Dane's write up and many others I've read don't inspire confidence (Heat until they are the consistency of marshmallow...tighten laces...not too tight...don't pull out an eyelet...etc. Heck, even Dane, who used to fit boots FOR A LIVING went to a pro shop to have it done). I'm a consumate DIY'er, no doubt, but you really only get one shot with these, and the potential for tragedy is significant. It would be an expensive mistake that I could probably avoid by getting a hand from someone who has done it a few times.

Dane's a wimp;) To be honest I've worked with all kinds of footwear for 30 years so I guess I'm partial. I do disagree though that you only get one shot. I have had success at reheating and remolding after the liner packs out which it will do. You can get at least 2-3 sometimes 4 heat and molds out of most moldable liners. Pretty tough to get into trouble as long as you keep an eye on the temp and don't overheat.

Anyone know of a shop that has experience heat molding boot liners? I just got a pair of Spantiks and I want to heat mold the liners for them. Boston area or anywhere in the Whites is fine (I'm up there often enough). I definitely want a shop that has done this sort of thing before. Thanks!

Joe Jones Sun & Ski in North Conway. 2709 White Mtn. Hwy, 603-356-9411 been there a long time, I've heard good things.

Joe Jones Sun & Ski in North Conway. 2709 White Mtn. Hwy, 603-356-9411 been there a long time, I've heard good things.
IME, EMS, and Rageed Mt. All have experience with LaSportiva also.

Dane's a wimp;) To be honest I've worked with all kinds of footwear for 30 years so I guess I'm partial. I do disagree though that you only get one shot. I have had success at reheating and remolding after the liner packs out which it will do. You can get at least 2-3 sometimes 4 heat and molds out of most moldable liners. Pretty tough to get into trouble as long as you keep an eye on the temp and don't overheat.

Very, very useful post. Thanks also sierra for the reference. I emailed IME and they seem happy to do it, too. So it looks like I've got options. But now your post skiguy has me wondering if I shouldn't just give it a shot myself? Blast you internet!! ;-)

For ski boots I've always done it myself. Not sure if the hiking boots methods are as easy but this isn't rocket science; you have plenty of leeway.

If you're under-confident and are near Plymouth NH, go to Paul Richelson's. Paul and his staff are skiers and fit ski boots, but earn their bread and butter servicing Joe ordinary who needs special fittings due to work, medical or other conditions. He's really knowledgeable, educated and makes a living out of doing this and only this.