whetstone gulf?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
does anyone know if whetstone gulf by lowville ny is open to public now. going that way for work tomorrow and would like to visit it again.

Adk_dib said:
does anyone know if whetstone gulf by lowville ny is open to public now. going that way for work tomorrow and would like to visit it again.
I haven't been into Whetstone in a while but drive by it all the time. Unless something has changed recently, it's always "open", but the gate is not manned in the winter, and there is no entrance fee until the middle of May. I've backcountry skied many times in there. At the moment snow is gone from open areas, but I suspect lots of untravelable slush and ice still in the darkness typical of the Whetstone gorge trails.

Last edited:
I don't believe it is ever closed. There are X-C ski trails at the bottom and a few years ago we hiked around it about this time of year. Going up one side (with the southern exposure) there was little to no snow but after we crossed over at the top and started down the other side there was plenty of snow. We cornered a couple of racoons (accidently) in a dead tree on the edge of the gorge. It was the first time I had ever heard racoons bark like a dog.

Thanx Hakuna Matata... I stand corrected. I tried hiking in a few State Parks near Ithaca last May and they wouldn't let me on the trails due to snow. I figured they had the same regs for all the parks. Maybe different regions within the State have different regs.