Which snowshoes with Koflachs boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I have a question for the Koflach owners out there: Which snowshoes do you use with your boots?

I've looked at my options and so far, it looks like it's either MSR Denali series or Atlas 12xx series.

I was also wondering if anyone had tried their koflachs with the new MSR Lightings?

Thanks!! :D

Fish

I have the Arctis Expe (size 11) and MSR Ligntings...they fit just fine with some room to spare. I would imagine 13+ might be a little tight...don't quote me on that though.

WCTDave said:
I have the Arctis Expe (size 11) and MSR Ligntings...they fit just fine with some room to spare. I would imagine 13+ might be a little tight...don't quote me on that though.

Ohhh, great! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I was eyeing the Lightning (non-ascent version, I don't feel like paying 30$ CDN just for the heel lift thingy).

My koflachs are 9.5, so I would think they would fit fairly well.

Now if only these darn snowshoes would come on special...I'd be set!

Fish

Just to calrify I have the Lightning Ascents but I doubt that makes any difference...I haven't seen the plain Lightnings but I figure binding design is the same. Also, if you plan to do any steep stuff the lift bar does, in fact, work great...something to consider.

I use an older pair of Atlas snowshoes with my koflachs. The bindings are not very good for steep hiking/mountaineering, as there is no strap across the instep. I would have replaced them already, except I only paid $25 for them and the replacements will be quite a bit more. And I can use the lessons in patience as well.
Make sure the bindings will hold the boot in at all sorts of wacky angles and pulls.

Snow Shoes

I've used my Koflachs with both the Denali and the Evo MSR Shoes and have had real good luck. For climbing I always use the lifter otherwise the stress on my ankle gets to be a bit much.

I would like to know if anyone has found a ski binding that can be used with Koflachs. That way they could work with Snowshoes, Crampons and Skis. :)

hikingfish said:
Now if only these darn snowshoes would come on special...I'd be set!
Last time I was at my local EMS I'm pretty sure the Lightnings were on clearance - about 3 pairs of them, and they've been there for a while too.