White Rocks Canyon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnpa

Reaction score
After three frantic days in Vegas pounding the convention floor and keeping up with meetings and appointments we were ready for a change of pace. Enough of the bright lights, noise, peroxide and silicone. We were ready for some natural beauty.

Thanks to early starts, long days, good planning and lots of hustle we finished up our business and still had a half day free. I was with Tom the engineer I work with and Jeff who is a client of ours (that makes this a business trip right?).

Four miles east of Hoover Dam in Arizona there is a dirt turn-off on the right that leads to a trailhead. From here the trail is a dusty path heading east across the desert. In the distance there is a distinct ridgeline with several jagged disconnected peaks nearby. The trail lead to a V between two small peaks. We made our way across the desert stopping occasionally to watch lizards or check out plants. A cab driver told Jeff that we missed the desert bloom by two weeks. Some flowers were still hanging on and most plants were green. I found it amazing that any flower could bloom in this stark land.

At the edge it looked like the desert just broke off. The trail became a wide gravel and sand path. Immediately it began a gradual descent between dark rock. The gravel became softer and the rock became walls. As the walls rose the rock revealed itself as volcanic rock. Along the path we began to see medium size granite boulders strewn about. They seemed out of place but were a nice reminder of home. This must be were the canyon got its name. The walls got higher and the path got narrow. Soon we came upon a trickle of water coming out of the wall. It was surrounded by bees. Many of the plants in this area were still in full bloom. Life seemed to cling to this small oasis. At this point the canyon walls rose over three hundred feet above us. We now saw the wisdom of the "Flash Flood" warnings posted at the trailhead.

The trail opened up suddenly revealing the sky, an area of small trees, a sandy beach and the mighty Colorado River. Time for a break. Tom fed the ducks while Jeff and I went for a swim. The water was cold and refreshing, but not "take your breath away" cold. We followed the river upstream for about half a mile. We came upon a campsite with several people lounging. They had come by boat and were well equiped. They directed us toward a small rough and narrow canyon that led to a hot spring. We scrambled up a ways. Water was trickling along the path. Soon we saw small pools with nice warm water. Eventually we reached an iron ladder. At the top was a nice deep pool set up with sand bags. Just beyond there was a similar setup with even warmer water. I was in before the other guys could say Arizona. I soaked as long as I could then got out and got back in soaked again. When I got out I had to sit on a rock because if I tried to walk I might've passed out. We all left totally rejuvenated for the climb out. We climbed out of the canyon and back into the desert shortly after a spectacular sunset.